I lost it 😞 but i order resin cover, try to put it on, and I don't like it! I will use plastic nose from spare kit 🙂 that's why i asked for nose cone details.. probably you have it in garage 😛  sorry for hijacking your thread!

Edited by mario krijan

Hee Ya-Gabor,

Your back.Nice version of the Mig-21. How is your MF...... Like always, great looking detail You do. Keep up save and modell on.

Han

On 4/25/2020 at 6:52 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Robert,

I am sure you will have lots of fun with those kits! : )  : )

Is that MF the one which was released this year with that Soviet Blue 71?  Have a look if it has the reworked Sprue D? (hint: very sharp nose cone and the intake ring with sharp edge as it should be) As far as I know Eduard was planning to add the new D Sprue in all newly released boxes. 

Stay Safe! And have a great weekend.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor, sorry for the late reply. The MF is blue 71 and to tell you the truth the sprue looks the same as it has a rounded intake ring. Will have to get the files out.

Stay safe.

Regards

Robert

9 hours ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

The MF is blue 71 and to tell you the truth the sprue looks the same as it has a rounded intake ring.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

At the start of the year I think it was on a Czech forum that Mr. Sulc indicated that from then on all new 72nd MiG-21 kits will have the new/corrected Sprue D with the sharp intake ring and the extra pointed nose cone including the newly released “old” MiG-21MF kits and not only the brand new PFM and PF versions.

I can confirm that the PF and PFM kits have the new D sprue. Will make some illustration of it soon.

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

On 5/10/2020 at 8:07 AM, sabre45 said:

Hee Ya-Gabor,

Your back.Nice version of the Mig-21. How is your MF...... Like always, great looking detail You do. Keep up save and modell on.

Han

Hi Han,

The MF’s (3 or them) are waiting in que for the workbench, while some other projects have priority at the moment including this PF build.

One day . . . : )   : )   : )

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

On 5/6/2020 at 8:36 AM, mario krijan said:

I lost it 😞 but i order resin cover, try to put it on, and I don't like it! I will use plastic nose from spare kit 🙂 that's why i asked for nose cone details.. probably you have it in garage 😛  sorry for hijacking your thread!

Hi Mario Krijan,

Good luck with your build. The nose cone is OK-ish in the kit and if it is missing then cannibalization from another kit is a quick solution.

Yes, the nose cone cover is a possibility, surely some will do this as a stop-gap solution. Do they look good? I haven’t seen them in person. Unfortunately Eduard is always showing only CAD images of all the resin, Brassin parts. It is a way of hiding faults and mistakes. The resin casting technology Eduard is using is not able to reproduce scale thickness. So the airbrakes for example have a really nasty thick trailing edge, in some cases even the plastic parts are better. This should be not so!

I did like in the past the etch brass covers, they provided a far superior authenticity and correct scale thickness. The only problem was that you needed a lot of “metal work”  on them to produce a really good looking cone cover. It is not for some, especially in 72nd scale.

As far as I know they have been discontinued (the etched brass versions) to help and boost sales of the Brassin alternatives. It is a strange marketing policy but . . .

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

Glad to see you back on the forum, my friend. I hope you and your family are healthy and doing well in these strange times. I've finally gotten back to my LanceR build- with mixed results. It won't be perfect, but I'll finish it. I have made great progress on the Ejector seat trolley- I'd like to send you some pics if you'd share your email. A friend is making the pneumatic wheels on his lathe from aluminium- hope to see them soon. As far as the seat itself, what do you think of these belts from Eduard? https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/MiG-21-KM-1-seatbelts-FABRIC-1-48.html    

Also, what does the seat pad itself look like? It's just another odd omission from that manufacturer, like the flats on the tires.

Thanks- and cheers!

Chuck

Edited by chukw
spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it has nothing to do with the MiG-21PF version but was planning for a long time to do the MBD2-67U bomb racks or simply MER’s for the Fishbed. Built it simply for fun. : )  : )  After all model building is a hobby and should be all about having fun. : )   : )

The kit includes a set on the weapons sprue so had a look at it. Well . . . .  What can a say, it is simple and would really need some detailing even if not superdetailing to make it acceptable. But . . . I had a in the stash a 72nd scale resin version (don’t ask me the maker I only have the resin parts, box is long gone). So the choice was simple.

2IkwmI1.jpg

The set had the actual MER with additional 6 bigger parts and 8 sway braces. Remember 72nd scale. So a lot of small parts to deal with. Be careful as a the carpet monster is very hungry and the set has no replacement parts for the very small sway braces. A little additional detailing was made by drilling some openings which are not included on the resin set.

So the MER was ready, but still had to add all the wiring to make it work. Once again a lot of small parts to add from different diameter wire.

One problem is how to paint it. After all it has no connectors on it only a lot of detailed parts. The only thing I could come up was to use the small opening on the underside. Drilled them a little deeper with a 0.2 bit and inserted a 0.21 wire. There was no need for glue as the diameter difference was enough to provide a firm hold. A plastic handhold was cut from 1 mm styrene sheet and the wires glued to it. It worked perfectly.

These MER’s will end up on my 72nd 21bis fighter so it was painted accordingly. Russians had it in metal finish but here. . .  On overhaul the MER’s received a camo paint. Overall light blue was used with the top nose part painted Hungarian camo brown. Mr.Paint’s were used for authentic colour.

Since there are no stencils manufactured for the MER’s I had to hand paint them. Actually the Hungarian stencils differed from the Russian version, but since none are available there was nothing to do but to make them with a small brush.

4Jixm03.jpg

OK, but how big is all this in 72nd scale? Here is an illustration of the MER in hand to give a sense of size.

6NMbKoJ.jpg

The Edu kit provides some FAB-100 bombs. Which are OK. The only problem is that in almost all cases we had only 50 kg bombs. So the only way forward will be to make some from scratch. The MER’s were not regularly used around here but there are known cases when it was carried and used on a test range. The usual load was of a single or two (one per wing) 50 kg bombs for test dropping from the standard wing pylon.

The MER is built, but what about the PF you may ask. 

OK, the actual PF kit is still on, but I am doing a handful of resin replacement / detail parts to bring it up to the standard of the PF and what I would like to see. It takes time and some missing parts hold up the build sequence. Hope soon to have something.

Best regards

Gabor

Szia Gábor!

Again you are the master of the details! I cannot imagine how you can make all this mostly in 1:72 scale...

Looking forward to seeing the progress of your PF build, hopefully soon with some jaw dropping details.🤩

Take care and see you soon!

Pali

On 6/1/2020 at 6:19 PM, sabre45 said:

Nice looking MER.  Will folow with interrest.

Han

Hi Han,

You are most welcome to look around. : )

Yes, the MER was fun to do. It is small, interesting and would look nice on a kit, now the only problem is that I will have to make for the MER a Type 75 21bis in 72nd scale. So the good old question comes to mind: which one was first : )  : )  : )

Still for the moment it is MiG-21PF in works together with its elder Bro. the PFM.

Best regards

Gabor

8 minutes ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

That is some amazing detailing on that  MER.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks! The only real addtion are the wires for arming the MER. So I ques now it is a live weapon and I should be careful with it!  : )  : )   : )

If it was detailing to do on the original Edu plastic parts then it would have been a real pain in the  a . . .   and weeks of work. This is why I took the resin replacement set and apart from the wires only added paint to it. 

Best regards

Gabor

29 minutes ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

Any chance of a detailed side view picture please .

Stay Safe

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

You mean more side view than this???

On 5/30/2020 at 11:01 AM, ya-gabor said:

4Jixm03.jpg

Will do some more photos soon but not only of the MER.  : )    : )   There is some progress with the actual PF airframe also. 

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

Here are few more views of that MER or to be precise an MBD2-67U as it is officially known.

The most important thing to know about it is its size. It is 72nd scale version. Here is for comparison it is on a 1 Euro Cent coin.

MCq5APE.jpg

Some more detailed views.

JDBrZcc.jpg

mCuVph6.jpg

45MTC58.jpg

Remember this is a Hungarian version, locally repainted and individual markings added to it. As far as I know the original Russian markings were very different, the only thing we kept from them is a red arrow showing forward flight direction.

Best regards

Gabor

18 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

. . . That holder is a really neat idea, too.

Thanks ChernayaAkula!

The MER holder. It was a bit of a headache at first, but in the end it seemed like a very easy and obvious thing to “construct”. It is interesting that that very minimal diameter difference perfectly holds it in place and there is no need to maar the surface with glue. Which later one would have to get rid of anyway.

So now I will have to do those 50 kg bombs. And at least 8 of them.  . .   : )   : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor

I know this is all running ahead a little but here is a little work with some Master parts which will be used in the build.

hw6bJmD.jpg

Of course the pitot tube is one of them. It is a perfect scale copy of the original example and the fact that it is from metal makes it that little bit more protected from damage in the kits later life.

i1QzjIz.jpg

SCHS0Q1.jpg

But apart from the pitot I also wanted to use the Polish Master Co.’s static dischargers. Once again they are a copy of the original discharger and have a true 3 dimensional shape. One can say that the Edus external detail set also has some static dischargers but they are a piece of flat 2 dimensional sheet of brass which does not really reproduce the real dischargers.

I used a 0.25 drill to make holes for the Master dischargers. In the instruction he is suggesting a 0.3 mm drill. The reason is simple. I used a slightly smaller drill was because the turned parts fit into their place just as well and in addition it is a snug fit so I don’t have to use any glue resulting in a much cleaner build.

VoJZvyi.jpg

I rather use Master's turned brass dischargers which are a true scale copy of the original and a nice 3 dimensional representation!

S0Y4qlA.jpg

As always there is also the chance that one or two of the static dischargers could get damaged, bent or broken no matter how careful the modeller is. Not using any glue it would be simple to take out the remnance of the damaged discharger and replace it with a brand new one. And here Master is of great help since in each pack there are 14 dischargers, far more than what one would need for a Fishbed or even a MiG-23 or MiG-29. So the spares can be used as attrition replacements.   

9a39o4G.jpg

DNWt9PO.jpg

Anyway I am sure that adding the pitot and the dischargers will be the very last step in my build but the holes are drilled so I will not have to handle the painted surfaces in those last stages of the build.

Best regards

Gabor

It could seem that I have not been doing anything with the kit but the matter of fact is that a hell of a lot of work went into making masters of different parts that I was not happy with in the original kit or simply wanted them more detailed or something that is not there at all. So I took some original Edu parts and added a lot of detail to them, the way I like. But far more than that, a lot of brand new parts were made from scratch. Many of them specific for Hungarian aircraft or intended for the precise version which was ignored by Edu and all other aftermarket manufacturers. There are parts that I wanted to have for a long time and it seemed like a perfect opportunity to make them for this build. After all it is all about the fun of building a kit the way we want it.

If the parts were already made it was obvious that I will make some resin copies for later builds. No point in scratching them again and again. There are still some more parts in making and some others did not make it for this photo.

I know that not much is visible of the parts here, but in time with the build it will all become clear.

9v6TI4K.jpg

So here is a Fistful of Parts. Fistful of resin parts.

The name is no accident, Clint Eastwood was 90 years old few days ago. Fistful of Dollars was one of the first in a very long line of films to follow.

Sir, Happy Birthday and thank you for all the great movies in past decades!

Best regards

Gabor