I am working on a 1/48 F-5E/F sheet and will eventually scale it down to 1/72. The Navy adversary aircraft seem to be very well covered, so I would like to have mostly USAF aggressors on the sheet - let me know if you have any suggestions.

If I may, the full-tail Navy VFC-111 Sundowner's adversary treatment was poorly done by Authentic; it was the wrong size and the decals turned to floating corn flakes when wet. I had a lot of piecing together on this one. Note the bottom red area is much too deep. I'd love to do this with the new 1/72 scale F-5F kit and a new Caracal decal!

ItalF-5Fwebcopy.jpg

Edited by Paul Boyer

Lots of great F-5E/F subjects out there! Many different international users, plus literally hundreds of USAF aggressors, and USN and USMC adversaries. While the adversaries have been covered pretty well in 48th and even 32nd scale, there is very little in 72nd scale. Kursad, I have a bunch of VFC-13 Navy adversary walk-arounds that I took myself if you change your mind about doing some. Regards, Fred K.

15 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

How about some little known operators, such as Kenya, Bahrain, Honduras, Vietnam, and the one used for testing trails in the USSR?

Great suggestions. Also Tunisia, Morocco, Brazil,  Thailand, South Korea, Chile, Honduras, Indonesia, Jordan, Malaysia, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sudan, Switzerland, Taiwan, North Yemen (although Bestfong did do decals of these guys) and how about an Ethiopian Air Force E with six Somali MiG kills on it? Several Iranian E's racked up some Iraqi kills during that war as well. Lots of great Tiger options out there!

Which brings me to a minor rant...... I find it hard to believe that it's taken this long to get (hopefully) an up to date kit of such a widely produced and used aircraft! Hasegawa, Academy- who I thought was in a great position to do this kit,  and Revell all dropped the ball. Airfix might have eventually done one. Tamiya doesn't even count as they don't do kits of (almost) anything except "teen" fighters and WWII subjects. Meng might have done a nice kit of it as they did a great job with their F-102 and F-106. Thankfully Trumpeter or Hobby Boss hasn't attempted it as given their track record they'd have probably screwed up the nose, canopy and/or intakes. AMK might have done a great job with it too, so hopefully Wolfpack will. Their T-2C is a real beauty! Thanks for listening to me whine ;0) Fred K.

2 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Actually, HobbyBoss and Trumpeter have done the E, but they don't appear to be any improvement on the older kits, 'cept for recessed lines. Meh.

I think they are actual copies of the Italeri kit, just with the recessed panel lines.

3 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Actually, HobbyBoss and Trumpeter have done the E, but they don't appear to be any improvement on the older kits, 'cept for recessed lines. Meh.

I didn't even mention the HB kit because its a bad copy of an already underwhelming kit. Hopefully Wolfpack delivers. My fingers are crossed ;0) Fred K.

3 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

I think they are actual copies of the Italeri kit, just with the recessed panel lines.

It’s been reworked a bit.  Some parts are better, like the landing gear. Some parts are worse, like the cockpit and the elevators. 

6 hours ago, f5guy said:

I didn't even mention the HB kit because its a bad copy of an already underwhelming kit. Hopefully Wolfpack delivers. My fingers are crossed ;0) Fred K.

I agree. The HB has multiple problems including oversized air intakes ( they resemble F-20 Tigershark intakes) as well as an undersized windshield. I'd rather rescribe the Italeri/Testors/Tamiya kit

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10001558

Hi, 

Great news this new Wolfpack F-5E/F - Long overdue.

Before this, I always figured I might try a Trumpeter/Italeri mix. Use fuselage and wings from the Trumpeter kit and salvage all the other parts from an Italeri F-5E. After all Trumpeter copied (very poorly) the Italeri little kit.

Maybe with a careful cleaning/filing Trumpeter fuselage could do the job (note : I do not like scribing - and yes I did it once long long ago on an Italeri F-5E). 

This said, we will need beautiful F-5E/F decals in the future... 

Eric B.