Trumpeter 1/72 Tu-128M

Have two of these kits in the stash, so decided to build one in flight to make it a quicker build. The model is nearly ready for paint, just need to finalize the scribing and riveting work.

The main gear bay doors are made up of seven individual pieces each that needed to be carefully cleaned up and glued in, making sure they all align properly. I still had to use some ca to fill minor gaps then sand it all flush, followed by scribing. The image shows one of the gear bays done with the sanding dust left in the scribed lines.

72iOuVw.jpg

Some additional panel lines and rivets added on top of the fuselage.

mKWjCVt.jpg

Wingtip corners had to be rounded off.

zpvBPs1.jpg

The overall shot of the airframe almost ready for paint.

DnvH1Ko.jpg

Edited by AlexP

A rare but very interesting bird, so nice to see a build of it here. Super sharp rescribing work, what tool do you use to rescribe?

What are your impressions of the kit so far overall?

14 hours ago, Berkut said:

A rare but very interesting bird, so nice to see a build of it here. Super sharp rescribing work, what tool do you use to rescribe?

What are your impressions of the kit so far overall?

The kit is actually quite good when it comes to detail and the fit of the parts, the fuselage is the only area that requires some special attention as it's broken down into five sections. I have several scribing tools that I use, but I mainly like to use the razor saw and the sharp round scribe. 

PqQ3knp.jpg

Edited by AlexP
On 4/19/2020 at 6:34 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I haven’t seen one of these modeled before.  That is looking really good!  Your panel line and rivet detail is topnotch 👍🏻

Steve

Thanks for the compliment Steve

Edited by AlexP

After looking over some reference photos I noticed that Trumpeter have completely omitted the prominent landing lights underneath the nose of the aircraft, so I decided to scratchbuild the lenses using a 36 gauge aluminum foil, punch and die set, a dapping tool, and a uv epoxy.

tu-128_0038.jpg

QJ7kZgu.jpg

Dry fit of the lenses, with the addition of new panel lines and rivets.

bQThX6K.jpg

On 4/20/2020 at 2:34 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I haven’t seen one of these modeled before.  

Amodel did one a few years ago - one of their worst kits I ever made.....

tu-128_01.jpg

... they also did the trainer version - the Tu-128U 'Pelican'......

tu-128u-pelican_02.jpg

Great work on the new Trumpeter kit Alex   :worship:  :thumbsup:  it's looking very good - and much better than the horrible Amodel kit....

A couple of points to note though - despite what Trumpeter label it as, it isn't a Tu-128M.

The 'M' (upgraded version) had a flat-topped fin - as in the Pelcan model above - not the raked fin tip of earlier versions.

Also - the Fiddler at Monino is a prototype - so some of the panel lines and fitings may be different.

I'm following this build with interest - keep up the great work.....

Stay safe.

Ken

Thanks for the info Ken, though I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble of correcting the fin at this stage in the build, will have to leave that for the second build with gear down and all the aftermarket bits. However, I did find this drawing of the '01' M version with a raked fin.

9afYfY8.jpg

AlexP,

Interesting looking Russian aircraft and model not often seen. The opening statements

and photos of what you've done so far, are very intriguing and showcases excellent and

thought provoking skills on your part. Looking forward to seeing how this project turns

out.

On 4/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, AlexP said:

After looking over some reference photos I noticed that Trumpeter have completely omitted the prominent landing lights underneath the nose of the aircraft, so I decided to scratchbuild the lenses using a 36 gauge aluminum foil, punch and die set, a dapping tool, and a uv epoxy.

tu-128_0038.jpg

QJ7kZgu.jpg

Dry fit of the lenses, with the addition of new panel lines and rivets.

bQThX6K.jpg

Fantastic work Alex!

Where did you source that cube tool?

Is it aluminum or steel?

Thanks,

Ernie A.