Russian Jet Colors

Hi everyone! While I'm very much aware and it has been mentioned here probably hundreds of thousands of times already that Russian colors are not standard nor specific for that matter, I still want to ask 2 questions which I have not found the right answer yet:

1. For the gear strut and gear bays:  Is it safe to just use light gull grays like  325/11 (FS26440) from Gunze or Testors 1730 (FS 26440) or Humbrol 129 for all their modern jets (all modern MiGs and Sus; or is it more appropriate to use Gunze 338 (FS 36495) or Testors 1732 (FS 36495)? If none of the two above, what is? 

2. Are their intake ductings usually same color as their gear bays/struts or are they simply plain unpainted bare metal aluminum?

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

1. I've always used either light gull gray (FS 26440) or more frequently USN grey-blue (FS 35237) but you need to use the Mr Color or Mr Hobby as those are darker and greyer, for my Su-27 landing gear struts (check references for the specific plane you're modeling) and those are about as close a match as you can get.

2. The intake ducts are a little different, older Su-27s seem to have a yellowish tinted bare metal (I use a mix of Alclad burnt metal with "mists" of other metallic colors until I'm satisfied with a match to the reference photos.  The newer model Su-27SM2/3s or Su-35s may be painted a grey color or a more aluminum-type bare metal color.

Hope that helps

Dan

I would say it varies from airframe to airframe. Some pics show it a warm light grey, like  LGG. Others have a slight blueish tint. Try to find pics of the airframe you're building and make your decision that way. On my Su-33 I used the nose cone color that came with the Mr Color Sea camo set for Japanese jets (specifically the F-2A/B). I could have used LGG too but it was a little too dark in estimation.

• 2 weeks later...