1/72 B-52G - Monogram/AMT

A project I've had on going in my mind for almost 20 years started today...
It's mostly going to be the Monogram kit.
1/72 B-52G Stratofortress - Monogram/AMT Kitbash.
Background: My dad worked G model BUFFs in the early 1960s at Beale AFB, California. The movie A Gathering of Eagles, was filmed at Beale while my parents were stationed there. My mom is in one of the movie scenes. My dad was the NavAids shop chief.
I always wanted to build a Beale B-52G. The problem is that the AMT G model kit sucks. It suffer from gross errors from being misshaped to being too narrow, wings in flight, etc... I did recently picked up the new Modelcollect Early G model...that will wait for another day.
I've had both the Monogram D and the AMT G in the stash for many years. The thought was to bash the two together. Using the Monogram D for the base kit and the AMT G as the donor. I just never knew if it would actually work.
Well today, I decided it was the moment of truth....I was surprised to find that the AMT section was almost a perfect fit to the Monogram kit. Now theres going to be a lot more work to do besides grafting on a nose. The Monogram kit isn't the most detailed kit when it comes to wheel wells and the bomb bay. Not to mention the tail gun. I'm not sure if I'm going to scribe the entire kit. My scribing skills aren't the greatest. Then again, I'm in no hurry to finish this, it's been 20 years in the making.
Additionally, I'll be using the AMT engines and Hound Dogs.

00_Beale B-52G.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

The steps...cut off the Monogram "D" nose, cut off the AMT "G" nose and splice together.

Believe it or not, there was very little sanding to get the two sections to match.It was almost like the two sections were made for each other.

01_Cutting Nose.jpg

Nest up is correct the completely inaccurate forward wheel well. This is going to be A LOT of work to make accurate.

First cut out the wells. B-52s don't have the deep wells in the forward wheel well. The aft does...

07-Mod-fwd-wheel-well.jpg

Next, looking at references, start build up the well from scratch

08-IP-Fwd-Wheel-Well.jpg

09-IP-Fwd-Wheel-Well.jpg

10-Fwd-Wheel-Well-bulk-head.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:05 AM, Dutch said:

Great work!  Any close-ups of the tail?  Are you going to use the AMT wingtip tanks or opt for the Airwaves tanks from Hannants.co.uk?  K/r, Dutch

I haven’t done anything with the tail besides cut 8 scale feet off of it.

I’ll probably use the AMT tanks as I already have them. I haven’t done much with this model lately. 

I’ve been busy designing aftermarket parts to support my new business 3D Scale Design.

Corrected Forward Wheel Well

668-F6-C95-9-DD9-4-BDC-BBF2-4-B780-B5-E5

E1-F7-DD00-E9-BA-4-BE4-8-E3-B-C1-B9699-A

C19-FC345-B278-45-F3-9-C99-635-A579-E68-

45354-B20-AD69-4-F64-95-C7-4-CE7-C4-FC0-

New Bomb Bay for Monogram kit

B6-A10-D35-A0-CE-4036-8215-5-C960-F2043-

25-C351-CF-69-DB-4-B66-BC49-CA933-C57543

Edited by SteveV22FE
  • 1 month later...

Most impressive progress so far!

Any thoughts on a brass or nickel scribing template, for some of the more odd shapes on a late model B-52, like the characteristic upper and lower ejection seat hatches?

Just an idea....

david

• 2 weeks later...