18 hours ago, Rotorman said:

looking good.  I used to fly the G2 version. Love this helicopter

Most of my time to is in a H-13E (a military D-1) converted to a G after it was surplused, but also some time in a straight civil H-13E.

I do have a hour or so in a G2, nice ship, if I were to buy one, it would be my choice. Then again, a G-4 would be nice...or a turbo G3B for flying here in the mountains..:) 

It had the original D-1 cabin, IIRC, there were 2 or 3 cabin widths on 47s over the years.

However, it did have the "humps" in the door enclosure like a G.

In the Bell 47 parts book, which I have, they are called cabin fairings and  listed as parts (47-360-181-67/8)...so I'm guessing they could be added to a D-1 cabin without any problems.

I asked famed Bell test pilot/author Ned Gilliand why the "hump" was added to the Gs. Even he didn't know but offered a guess that it was added to prevent spent shell casings on armed ships from entering the cabin. If so, Bell must have liked the look and kept them in civil models.

Another guess would be it made the plexiglass doors slightly smaller and therefore more rigid.

The aircraft I flew had the G twin fuel tanks and horizontal stabilizer...so it looked just like a factory 47G or H-13G.

Edited by JohnEB
Fix typo
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Beware the tail rotor as the kit would have it installed rotates the wrong way. It should rotate twords the front of the aircraft, it rotates to the rear. Easy fix. Remove the exhisting shaft, sand hub smooth, drill and mount a new shaft using a straight pin or some stiff wire. The location on the right side of the tail boom is correct.

14 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Thanks. Beware the tail rotor as the kit would have it installed rotates the wrong way. It should rotate twords the front of the aircraft, it rotates to the rear. Easy fix. Remove the exhisting shaft, sand hub smooth, drill and mount a new shaft using a straight pin or some stiff wire. The location on the right side of the tail boom is correct.

As with Italeri kits you should be able to remove the blade at the hub, rotate and reglue. You can add a pin if needed.