Braving the lockdown, my postman Martin has just delivered this new kit from Mikro-Mir

Having already built a model of the USS Parche..........

spacer.png

I was going to pass on this new kit - until I realised it represents the pre-stretch early version........

spacer.png

As the boxart shows - the sail is different, she carries a DSRV (as a cover for her covert ops) - and the hull is 100ft shorter.....

spacer.png

The shorter hull is is two halves - split horizontally...

spacer.png

The only other sprue carries the sail, diving chamber, DSRV and other small parts...

spacer.png

The assembly instructions and painting guide is printed on thin A4 paper folded in half...

spacer.png

Completing the kit is an etched fret containing the single propeller and DSRV mounting struts plus a small, well printed decal sheet.

Another very welcome kit from Mikro-Mir's expanding range of 1/350 scale subs.

Nice one MM.....:thumbsup:

Ken

I've made a start.

As is usual with Mikro-Mirs limited-run kits, the parts exhibit some flash - quite an amount on this new model and it seems to be getting worse......

After scraping it off, I added strips of plastic card to aid alignment....

spacer.png

Joining the two hull halves reveals a prominent joint line.......

spacer.png

.... that needs the application of filler......

spacer.png

The diver lockout chamber is in three parts - again with lots of flash (note the unfettled top piece)......

spacer.png

The lockout chamber assembled....

spacer.png

... the sides don't fit precisely - leaving a gap at the front end....

spacer.png

The parts for the sail - and its rear extention ........

spacer.png

I may need to buy shares in filler manufacturers....

spacer.png

Ken

Lots of filing/sanding later....

The Lockout Chamber pannier, the hull and the sail....

spacer.png

Diving planes, sonar dome and Towed Array Sonar tube attached...

spacer.png

The TAS tube is in two parts -just butt-joined and very delicate - and, guess what? - it needs some filler to blend in the front end!!

spacer.png

Almost ready for a primer coat......

Ken

In the meantime - the parts for the 'dummy' DSRV.... (it looks more like a torpedo)

spacer.png

Tiny parts, lots of flash to clean off, massive sprue gates, no propeller supplied.... what's not to like......???

The instruction diagram shows vertical fins on the aft end of the DSRV - but they have moulded only horizontals - I suggest cutting two of them off to make verticals (guess who didn't?)

The model is now painted - Halfords car spray rattle cans - Matt Black, Red Plastic Primer and Volvo Dark Grey.....

spacer.png

I managed to break the towed array cable whilst masking.....

spacer.png

It's only a weak butt-join - I'll have to try to hold it steady whilst glueing both ends of the part..... :wall:

Ken

PS - I found this image on't tinterweb thingy......

spacer.png

It shows USS Parche as first launched (top), followed by her conversion to 'Special Ops' (and as kitted by Mikro-Mir and finally, after having her hull lengthened by 100ft.

My conversion - here - shows how to make the last version. (mine lacks the lower lockout chamber - due to scarcity of info at the time...

Ken

PS Apologies if I am breaking any rules posting this image.......

• 6 months later...

There is now a 3D printed conversion now available at [url=https://www.shapeways.com/]ShapeWays[/url] to build the third and final version of the USS Parche (SSN-683) with the hull extension at this link: [url=http://shpws.me/RDuD]ShapeWays > Mulsanne's Model Corner > USS Parche SSN-683 Special Ops version 1/350th scale[/url]