F/A-18C Question - Very specific, underwing panel near flaps

Could anyone give me some idea what this white/light gray panel is, as seen in this photo from the ARC walk arounds...

40.jpg

For some reference, this is the underside of the wings, just in front of the flap line. 

The Two Bobs sheet I have has nothing going on here. But the Kinetic decals sheet has this light gray circle and “Do Not Paint” in the center. I’m trying to figure out what this is, and if it’s persistent on all F/A-18C’s. 

Thank you for any help!

2 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Could anyone give me some idea what this white/light gray panel is, as seen in this photo from the ARC walk arounds...

40.jpg

For some reference, this is the underside of the wings, just in front of the flap line. 

The Two Bobs sheet I have has nothing going on here. But the Kinetic decals sheet has this light gray circle and “Do Not Paint” in the center. I’m trying to figure out what this is, and if it’s persistent on all F/A-18C’s. 

Thank you for any help!

I believe its on all the legacy hornet although I do not know why. Probably a sensor or something. I do know that the one next to it (almost rectangular in shape) is a door for one of the tie down points on the airframe. They attached a chain to an anchor point inside it.

Eric

Thank you! I was finding it consistently on A/B walk arounds, but for whatever reason C/D walk arounds are less prevalent. Like you said, given the “Do Not Paint” on some of them, I presume it’s some receiver or antenna. 

On 4/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, speedlimit said:

I believe its on all the legacy hornet although I do not know why. Probably a sensor or something. I do know that the one next to it (almost rectangular in shape) is a door for one of the tie down points on the airframe. They attached a chain to an anchor point inside it.

Eric

Correct but missing some info, the rectangular access panel is a mooring point (anchor stencil) and a Jacking point (stencil with a block and two legs). 

The Flat white area is a "sensor".

Cheers

AFM

Any panel or cover with DO NOT PAINT stenciled on it is most likely a transmitter/receiver/sensor of some type. If you can’t find specific info on the type of sensor consider there’s probably a good reason why. :coolio: 

Edited by habu2

The antenna is the AIM-7 WING ANTENNA, it basically is used to check the aft receiver antenna on the AIM-7 while the missile is still loaded on the wing stations.

It is present on all F-18A-D aircraft.

For those familiar with the F-14, it's the same as the MOAT (Missile On Aircraft Test) Antenna.

Edited by GW8345
1 hour ago, Specter1075 said:

Doesn't get more definitive than that! I'm glad you're on these boards GW. I learn a lot from your posts! (You too AlienFrog!)

Always a pleasure to help out and the kind words are greatly appreciated!