Hellow fellow modelers. I am looking to buy a 1/48 F 4E Phantom II. My plan is to build a HAF F 4E AUP (as the one in the picture). I have troubles finding a F 4E in 1/48. Can I modify a different version in F 4E standards?

HAF F 4E AUP

Hasegawa makes the current "standard" of long nosed Phantoms in 1/48 and there are plenty to be found online through various classifieds, stores, and eBay. Hopefully this will all change when ZM (edit** we can't type in the whole name for the company???) finally releases their long anticipated versions to accompany their J, C, and S. 

There are quite a few previous builds of the HAF all throughout the interwebs.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979759-hellenic-f-4e-phantom-148-hasegawa/&

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=27626

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=13471

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961683-hasegawa-f-4e-phantom-ii-hellenic-airforce/&tab=comments#comment-1643737

This is the Italeri F-4F (ESCI molds)

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?t=19424

LOTS of options for you out there. I might suggest picking up a copy of Eagle Aviation's "Phantom Under the Skin Vol. 1" as it is the most comprehensive book on the HAF F-4E AUP.

http://eagleaviation.gr/work/f-4e-phantom-aup-under-the-skin/

Edited by Whiskey

Thank for your reply. I will propably go for the ZM's F 4E, I have seen that they manufacture very detailed kits. Also I may use some PE parts for the F 18 for the cockpit displays and some resin parts for litening pod. 

On their facebook and some 2019 model show they stated it will be out somewhere mid-2020. As Japan wasn't going through lockdowns they should keep up to the agenda quite well.

67804136-2423222131056938-99513467112364

Next summer, that should start in 2 months 🙂

Edited by Tapchan

Hasegawa F-4E’s are actually pretty good.

To model the a/c in the picture you’ll need to source some extra parts like the DIAS antennas along the intake sides(these are found in various F-4J/S boxing’s by Hasegawa, and can normally be sourced through members on here) the nose mounted DIAS the small triangle under the cannon, you’ll need to make yourself along with the rear one which is next/on the parabrake housing easily done though.(bare in mind not all Hellenic F-4’s are DIAS equipped, so check the serial numbers, I have them but not to hand at the moment)

The cockpit requires the addition of some MFD screens one in the front and two I think in the rear. These can done very easily either by using photo-etch from a F-18F like I did or scratch them. 

IFF bird slicers in front of canopy, these can be found in the Kinetic F-16 box you already have, I think you get spare ones. Or you can scratch them.

Other than that you’re good to go, although you can add after market cockpit/exhausts/intakes/dropped slats and flaps

If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Edited by scotthldr
On 4/20/2020 at 6:26 PM, Whiskey said:

There are quite a few previous builds of the HAF all throughout the interwebs ... .

That is one great, comprehensive  reply, Whiskey. I appreciate sharing folks like yourself!

Gene K

Probably better off getting it from the Asian market if you need to buy off the internet, just make sure you don’t buy any of the JASDF boxing’s as I believe they have different wings. The 30th Anniversary box HAPT08 is ideal.

Thank you very much for your replies. It's rely hard to find a Phantom F 4E in Europe. For now I will keep working on a Kinetic F 16 Block52+.

I will wait for the ZM's F 4E, but I will keep trying find a Hasegawa one, the 30th Anniversary for sure. Do you know where can I find ZM model kits in Europe?

5 hours ago, Tapchan said:

Go to zoukei mura site and on the bottom you have link to a list of partner shops in desired countries.

Heres a link, no partner in greece tho.

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/link.html

Thank you very much. I will propably buy it from Cyprus or Germany. Believe it or not I have bought only an F 16 from Greece, my tools, paints and a couple of Spitfires was bought from Germany and Poland.

On Cyprus there is only the48ers. They've added also kits to their offert recently (more than month ago I think) but everything is out of stock. Who knows, maybe waiting for container from China and there's a delay due to reasons we should not speak here about? Best price I've found is through Martola from Poland, however not really sure how much would shipping cost.

I love HAF Phantoms colors and was also searching any E in 2019, however I only found ones from ebay from USA (around $50 with $25 shipping cost minimum) and somewhere in the European shop for €65, but it disappeared before I got back home from work. Anyway it's totally not worth it, as I'd have to buy extra resin nozzles for extra €15 which already sets it on the price level of ZM while nowhere near the detail of it. It's really strange Hasegawa did not released single E boxing since ZM announced F-4E over a year ago.

Edited by Tapchan
5 hours ago, Tapchan said:

It's really strange Hasegawa did not released single E boxing since ZM announced F-4E over a year ago.

They've released the anniversary boxings recently, celebrating the final retirement of their F-4EJs I believe.

52 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

Yes, anniversary boxes of F-4EJ with unslatted wings. Or your suggestion was to buy 1 F-4EJ and another on with proper wings and combine it into 1 kit for the price of 2? 😄

No, just responding to the claim the Hasegawa hasn't released a single E boxing in over a year. Unless you don't consider the EJ a version of the F-4E. You're right, the EJ doesn't have the right wing. You'd need a boxing of an F-4G, the Korean Air Force F4-E boxing, the Phantom II ‘30th Anniversary 131 TFW’ F-4E boxing or an F-4F to get the slatted wing (the F-4S boxings also includes a slatted wing.)

I too am looking forward to the ZM version. I like the colorful EJ schemes, so that's what I hope they release first, but who knows?

1 hour ago, scotthldr said:

The F-4F has unslotted rear stabilisers so not an option unless it also comes with the slotted stabs as well?

It doesn’t, but some really nice slotted stabs are available from Hypersonic. Jeffrey also has unslotted stabs if you want to convert an E kit to an F.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Missed a few Hasegawa E kits with the slatted wings:

Phantom II 3rd TFW ‘Bataan’

Phantom II ‘30th Anniversary’

Phantom II ‘Shark Teeth’

Phantom II ‘5000th Phantom’

Phantom II ‘Indiana ANG Special’

As far as the stabs in the F kits, you'd want to replace them anyway as they have raised panel lines.

1 hour ago, GeneK said:

Zoukei-Mura  "announcement" here.

Gene K 

Early type, for HAF Late is required. We can expect it next year.

However I've just remind myself about that:

Despite Tamiya already announced their news for 2020 I wouldn't be surprised if they hold some aces up their sleeves.

F-14 was so expensive allegedly due to obtaining plans from Grumman. If they come with F-4E Late this summer with a price of ~€65 then they'd stole the whole market for themselves (in times when there is no slatted F-4E.

Edited by Tapchan
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 12:49 AM, Tapchan said:

On Cyprus there is only the48ers. They've added also kits to their offert recently (more than month ago I think) but everything is out of stock. Who knows, maybe waiting for container from China and there's a delay due to reasons we should not speak here about? Best price I've found is through Martola from Poland, however not really sure how much would shipping cost.

I love HAF Phantoms colors and was also searching any E in 2019, however I only found ones from ebay from USA (around $50 with $25 shipping cost minimum) and somewhere in the European shop for €65, but it disappeared before I got back home from work. Anyway it's totally not worth it, as I'd have to buy extra resin nozzles for extra €15 which already sets it on the price level of ZM while nowhere near the detail of it. It's really strange Hasegawa did not released single E boxing since ZM announced F-4E over a year ago.

Just a heads-up that we opened the pre-order on ZM, Kinetic, GWH as well as Eduard kits with up to 30% discount! Available for just a few days... 🙂 

https://the48ers.com/plastic-kits?prod_availability=1192

Edited by Ilias