F-86F-10 112958 Paper Tiger

I need some info on this plane of Capt Harold Fischer in Korea 1953. I have seen

pictures of it with slatted wings but supposedly it had the slatted wings removed

and 6-3 wings fitted. I have decals, Superscale in 1/48 scale, and it shows a 6-3

wing with a wing fence. I don't always trust decal sheets especially if I see the markings

in photos different than the sheet. Did his plane, 112958, have the wings refitted or

is the decal sheet incorrect. Thanks jon

Aircraft of that block did have 6-3 leading edges fitted before the end of hostilities, ala Beautious Butch (51-12971), it had 6-3 wings. 

HTH,

Tony

edit PS.    since no kit in 1/48 gives you a correct slatted wing anyway, just go with the Superscale decals  🙂

Edited by Snowbird3a

Thanks Tony I did see that. What is really weird is that that plane, 51-12958 is listed

in Forgotten Jets as going to the 334th FIS in 1955 then to the Taiwan AF after that.

There is also a note that it crashed in N Korea 4-7-1953???? I am thoroughly confused

as I do have at least 2 pictures of it with slats deployed but none with the hard wing.

I have also seen pictures of McConnell and Fischer chatting in front of MCConnells

hard winged F-86, they served in the same unit so why wouldn't they both have converted

wings on their planes. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Think I will just go for

it and use the decals on my Hasegawa 1/48 hard winged F-86F-30. jon

I just read a document stating that F-86F-10 NA numbers 51-12936 through 51-12969 received

6-3 wing kits in Korea September 1952. The original picture I saw of The Paper Tiger 51-12958

was said to have been in 1951. Soooooo all that being said as far as I am concerned these

images showing the original slats were taken before the refit for 6-3 wings in September 1952. jon

Go here.

https://finescale.com/~/media/files/pdf/online-extras/sabre/sabretable.pdf

Edited by jonwinn
On 4/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, jonwinn said:

The original picture I saw of The Paper Tiger 51-12958

was said to have been in 1951. 

It's a mistake for sure. There were no F-86F in Korea in 1951.

As for The Paper Tiger, it has slatted wings at the day Fisher scored his last kill.