I used to be a pretty active builder (joined ARC back in 2003) but stepped away for a while. Thinking about trying a kit or three now...mainly interested in 1:48 jets with some other interests.  I used to buy from Squadron a lot but looks like they don't have as many kits as they used to unless I'm doing something wrong in the search box...

Happy to see the forum here is still pretty active. I got my fair share of help here back in the day, tried to give a little too.

-Mike

I will offer a "I second that" for sprue brothers.  

For paints, look at hobbyworld usa.  Quite the nice selection!

If you are very patient (shipping from hong kong does take a little longer), you can look at lucky model for quite nice selection of kits, as well as decent pricing (shipping price isn't too bad, but the timeframe can be staggering).

Anybody know if Sprue Brothers are curently shipping overseas?

I put some order in yesterday (nothing important, just some stuff I´d like to use one day), and I´m curious if they can ship, concerning the current situation.

HAJO

All the above. I also like Hobbyeasy, another Hong Kong mail order business. I like them because they usually have more items in stock than Lucky Model with similar pricing and shipping costs. They have a lot of harder to find items.

Once you have purchased a kit and are thinking about aftermarket accessories, check out The48ers.com (that's right, all 1/48 aftermarket stuff :woot.gif:). They have just about everything you could want and many items out of Russia and Eastern European countries that usually have iffy shipping.

I'll will give this one caveat, any overseas company may run into problems with shipping with the current crisis going on, so expect to wait if you order overseas.

Spruebrothers and eBay if you need anything quickly.

Hannants for European made aftermarket and maybe small kits

Luckymodel for bigger kits but watch for stock and shipping promotions.

I'm another repeat Sprue Brothers customer, and can highly recommend them. Also as thegoodsgt mentioned, ebay can be a great source as well. There's a seller by the name of rebelalpha (Scott Zuieback out in California) who has a great selection and service. I've bought from him for years. You can also find a lot of more obscure items from sellers directly in Russia or the Ukraine on ebay. I have ordered through many of them and not had any problems, but it will often take a package a while to get to you.

One word of caution regarding ebay is to watch out for Chinese sellers who are selling kits at insanely low prices. It's usually a scam. The way to tell is to check their feedback, which is usually pretty low (in the 100's, but possibly 1000's), and is real brief like "Good" "Thanks" or "Excellent". Also, the item the feedback is being left for is usually quite low in price, like a dollar or two. It's the old "Too good to be true adage". Not to worry if you do get nailed though.... just file the right claim through ebay and you'll get your money back, as I did. Most of the Chinese sellers are legitimate, but beware of those with really low prices and little feedback. HTH, Fred K.

Second rebelalpha on Ebay, I too have ordered from him for years, always outstanding service and fast shipping.

Also, I too have ordered stuff from the Ukraine, just ordered the new UH-2A/B from Clear Prop with no problems.

Edited by GW8345

The online retailers based in Hong Kong (Hobby Easy and Lucky Hobby from memory) are currently not able to ship (by air) to most other countries because the Hong Kong Post Office has suspended parcel services due to coronavirus issues. You can still order but unless you specify surface mail, you are unlikely to get anywhere.

My last order was dispatched from Hobby Easy the day the HK post office shut down the service so it never made it out of Hong Kong. It's currently lurking somewhere in a warehouse in HK I suspect and it may eventually turn up later in the year. 🙂

Other than that issue (entirely out of their control) - I'd highly recommend Hobby Easy and have been using them for years.

John

Oh yes eBay. As mentioned Rebelalpha. Also lotsofmodels, Tacair (eBay store for Hobbyzone USA) and Victorymodelsproductions (eBay store for Victory Models). All good and reliable.

Someone mentioned Hannants. They have an AMAZING list of products. If I can't find an aftermarket item at The48ers, chances are the Hannants has it. They do have a minimum order amount for some stuff like kits I think. Shipping out of Britain is at times high.

One thing to keep an eye on. You should always try to get shipping that includes tracking, especially with overseas shipping. It usually costs a little more but it is worth it. If you don't have it and your package goes missing, you might not have any easy way to get a refund or replacement from the seller.

27 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Oh yes eBay. As mentioned Rebelalpha. Also lotsofmodels, Tacair (eBay store for Hobbyzone USA) and Victorymodelsproductions (eBay store for Victory Models). All good and reliable.

Someone mentioned Hannants. They have an AMAZING list of products. If I can't find an aftermarket item at The48ers, chances are the Hannants has it. They do have a minimum order amount for some stuff like kits I think. Shipping out of Britain is at times high.

One thing to keep an eye on. You should always try to get shipping that includes tracking, especially with overseas shipping. It usually costs a little more but it is worth it. If you don't have it and your package goes missing, you might not have any easy way to get a refund or replacement from the seller.

Agreed...... Victory & Lotsofmodels on ebay have been great for me as well, and I completely forgot about Hannants. As Mstor mentioned, they have a great selection and generally good prices, but sometimes shipping can be high if you're ordering big stuff (kits) to the US. HTH, Fred K.

Spruebrothers and eBay if you need anything quickly.

KitLinx if you are trying to find AM items.

Hannants for European made aftermarket and maybe small kits (shipping to USA not too bad).

Luckymodel, HobbySearch Japan or Hobby Link Japan for Asian manufactured kits, but watch for stock and shipping promotions.