I'd really be interested in how everybody stores their decals these days. 

In the past I use two or three ringed note books with clear sleeves. I then place the decals sheet inside sandwiched between tracing paper. I can get a good idea what I'm looking at thru the tracing paper without removing the sheet from the sleeve. Plus each sheet will hold two 1/32 scale sheets. Sometimes four 1/48th scale sheets. What bothers me is that they are not completely air tight. Be interested in your thoughts and ideas.

gary

I keep groups of decals in ziplock bags. I keep groups of ziplocked bags of decals in plastic shoeboxes or, if oversized sheets, in archival photograph boxes (cardboard). All of these boxes are kept on a shelf unit in an indoor closet. This protects them from light, heat and humidity. 

For 1/72 scale decals I use the small 5x7 binders with clear sleeves, for 1/48 scale sheets I use regular size binders with letter size clear sleeves. Never had a problem with the decals and I have some sheets that are over 35 years old. Depending on the age of the decal sheet I will coat it with liquid decal film prior to use to make sure it won't "explode" as soon as it hits the water but storing them in open top plastic sleeves has never been an issue.

9 hours ago, airmechaja said:

Ditto with ChessireCat. I've  used some 15 year old decals from that system and have had no problems with them. :thumbsup2:

I have had pretty good luck so far. Yet always felt there was a better way. You'd be surprised how many sheets will go into a 2" wide note book. The down side is finding the sleeves. You want the ones made for photographs, and they're about twice the price.

gary

I have one those little cheap 2 drawer filing cabinets.  I have a hanging file for each subject, P-51, F-4 etc.  I store the decals in the filing cabinet indoors.  

Geoff M

The three main factors detrimental to decals are light, heat and humidity. Storing sheets flat (to avoid bending/creasing) and in an organized fashion are also beneficial. 

For kit stash decals I place the decal with a sheet of parchment paper inside a ziplock bag, then placed inside the instructions and keep them in the box with the kit. 

Just a former paper box of one of my kits. Sits in my closet, so it´s dry, not too warm and not too cold. Also, to play it safe, I put in two small pieces of Silicca Gel that once came with some electronic stuff. I think they absorb humidity and that´s a good thing among my decals.

Of course due to this method of stashing I have no order whatsoever, so I have to check my whole box every time I need something. But this gives me a fairly good idea what´s in my decal stash, so I mostly start my search with the thought of "...last time I *think* I saw XY..."

HAJO

14 hours ago, habu2 said:

For kit stash decals I place the decal with a sheet of parchment paper inside a ziplock bag, then placed inside the instructions and keep them in the box with the kit. 

Except for a few subjects, I place mine in the kit they were bought for. Wasn't doing anything special, but I like you're idea of the ziplock bag with parchment paper. I think I will start doing that. Thanks!

I occasionally find evidence of silverfish in my stored kits.  Silverfish eat paper, including boxes, instructions and decal sheets.  The ziplocks also protect the decals from these pesky critters.   Silverfish also seem to be attracted to either the paper or the adhesive used in post-it notes.  I used to stick post-it notes on kit boxes and/or instructions, but no more....

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I occasionally find evidence of silverfish in my stored kits.  Silverfish eat paper, including boxes, instructions and decal sheets.  The ziplocks also protect the decals from these pesky critters.   Silverfish also seem to be attracted to either the paper or the adhesive used in post-it notes.  I used to stick post-it notes on kit boxes and/or instructions, but no more....

Eww! I hate silverfish. Those and those big centipedes. YUCK!!!!!!

I do keep decal sheets in a few binders with sleeves, but many of my sheets are too big to fit into binder sleeves. I keep these flat in a plastic bin with a latching lid. Fortunately, decal sheets come in plastic bags these days so I don’t have trouble with humidity. I have 25 year old sheets that are still perfect. Having said that, I’ll use a sheet tomorrow and it will disintegrate...

I have two plastic files,  one for US and one All others.  Inside those plastic files, I have manila folders marked with Nation/Service and era on each.  Then file decals, in Mfgrs original sleeve, accordingly.  BTW, I keep those files inside my climate controlled home.  I have some VERY old decal sheets and they like new.

Bo