ever built 2-3 at once?

or is it wiser to build one at a time?

I have a few Revell 1/32 vietnam era helicopters I've dug out and they're on the bench.  I've been thinking about building them the same with same unit markings eventually but thought I'd run it by you for any input.

bad idea?  good plan?

thanks

That depends on you...I've got two TA-4J Skyhawks on my bench right now. I'll get them finished, but they're not very complex builds. Last year, I had two Crusaders on my bench but I decided to add considerable extra work to both of them. One got converted to an RF-8G and the other incorporated an F-8H conversion set. It ended up being too much for me and I focused on the RF-8G. The F-8H went back in the box. I also built two Tamiya Tomcats last year, although I ended up focusing on one at a time once I got past basic construction. My attention span is the limiting factor and I can only handle one really complex kit at a time.

My opinion is if there are tasks that you can do in bulk then it definitely will save you time. I.e.... painting all of the cockpit parts in one sitting. Gluing together the same sub-assemblies all at one time. Think of it kind of like a mini-assembly line. Some tasks lend themselves to doing it rapidly in assembly line fashion while others are more take your time and do it one by one. But if you're doing the same model in multiples then doing them at the same time should save you time.

I usually hit sticky points where I just have to put a project down n walk away.  I've never been into pushing through a build and trying to get as much done as I can in a certain period of time. So doing 2 just doesn't fit my ethos I guess.    I'm not into spitting out as many modes as I can.  Each one is a project I give full attention to.  I take short cuts on things that I know will never be visible but I've never been in a race to finish.  

I do it pretty frequently.  2 at a time.  I just started a conversion of a monogram f-100 to a 2-seater and a trumpeter F-100C that will be out of the box.  One complex and one easy (hopefully.)  

Geoff M

7 hours ago, Bounce said:

or is it wiser to build one at a time?

That's one of those yes or no questions where the correct answer is that it depends.

Only thing I've ever built multiples of at once is 1/72 trucks and tanks for miniatures gaming; and, model railroad cars in HO and N scales.

With larger aircraft models the issue of work area crowding comes to mind; both in the matter of the parts boxes/sprues & in keeping partly assembled aircraft bodies out of the active work space.

"Multi tasking" on subassemblies like cockpits, engines, pilots, and such sounds workable.

I often build two different subjects at a time. One is a primary build and the other "while the primary dries/cures/marinates, etc." I don't want to feel a production line driving my hobby time: that's "work" for me.

EXCEPT: Your goal is several similar subjects; same unit, similar paint, paint shades, duty cycles, (weathering), etc. It makes sense to build several at once in a production style.

Edited by Lost_Erik

6 of my last 7 have been built 2 at a time.

BUT, they are the same kit. Never start another model till I clear my bench first.

I have been known on occasion to finish a model , then another but paint them together if the colours are the same. Saves paint that way.

I was working on 4 AMT P-40's at the same time. 3 P-40F's and 1 P-40K all desert scheme's.

Simple kits and same paint figured I'd kill 4 birds with one stone. I did get kind of bored at times I have to admit.

Mike

Edited by P-38 guy

I usually have 3 or 4 on the bench at any given time. Co-ordinate my painting across them all so I don't waste as much time or paint. Sometimes they are similar, sometimes they are VERY different. Currently have a 1/48 P-47, Stuka, Harvard II and a 1/72 CF-188 on the desk. Keep things organised ( I use ziplock bags to store parts) and I make lists to make sure I keep things on track. 

This also allows me to keep building even if one kit is set aside to dry (paint or glue)

Sean