Different Tomcat radars..

What are the visual differences between the F-14A+, B and D radars? :smiley-transport006:

It would be great to have some side-by-side pics of them so we can see the differences.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

There were only two radars on USN F-14s, the AWG-9 and the APG-71.  The APG-71 is a digital upgrade to the AWG-9, and very few were built/installed (~50).  As a digital upgrade I'm not sure there are any if many visible differences.

edit: ninja'd...  🙂

Edited by habu2

A good technical description of the differences but may not be much help for visual differences on a scale model:

(click on image to open full article)

disp_old_pdf.cfm?ARC_ID=113

Edited by habu2

The APG-71 antenna was slightly larger in diameter than the AWG-9, and it required the antenna to be fully in the "stow" position before fully opening the radome. Stow meant the antenna was centered side to side and pointing all the way down (same on AWG-9 btw). Normally the antenna would stow automatically when the system was shut down, but some failure modes would prevent that. SOP was to crack the radome slightly and double check the antenna was stowed. If not, someone with chicken arms could usually reach up and pull it into stow. Even the AWG-9 antenna could get caught on the radome if not stowed, but there was zero margin for error with the APG-71. I do remember seeing a antenna get caught and torn up when someone forget to double check the antenna position, locked the radome hydraulic valve in the nose wheel well open with a stubby screwdriver, and then used the emergency hydraulic hand pump in the front cockpit to pump up the radome. He was working solo for some reason and didn't hear the crunch. I was across the deck and ran over to stop him when I saw what was happening, way too late.  Big mess, shredded the planier array. Can't remember if he went to mast over that, probably. Sister squadron, (102), not my jet.

BTW, those gray antennas on the array were for the APX-76 IFF interrogator, not part of the AWG-9.

-CJ

27 minutes ago, CJ Martin said:

BTW, those gray antennas on the array were for the APX-76 IFF interrogator, not part of the AWG-9.

aka Dipole antenna, or simply dipoles 👍