Anybody use The Chopper II?

I am thinking of getting The Chopper II, but I had some questions first.

The_Chopper.jpg

What type of blade does it use, a standard single-edge razor blade or a custom blade?

What is the thickest plastic rod or strip that it can chop?

Finally, the ads say the pad can be replaced, does it need a custom pad from the manufacturer?

Thanks for any & all help.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

I have the 1st version of that. It uses a single-edge razor blade. The maximum material thickness is limited by the height of the blade at the fence and the stiffness of the material, which could cause the blade to flex. At the fence of my 1st version, the blade is 3/4 in above the cutting surface, but probably 3/8 of an inch is a better size to consider

Also, that looks to be a regular cutting mat. My 1st version has a Masonite cutting surface. It's inlet at the blade, so use doesn't damage the cutting surface.

I have it.  I imagine I could cut up bigger cutting mats to replace the little mat on the Chopper II, but I've never had occasion to replace the original.  Yes, it uses stock single-edge razor blades.  With a fresh blade I've cut up to 1/4" or maybe bigger pieces, but I don't get perfectly perpendicular cuts.  I've gotten bigger materials closer to square with a few swipes of  file.

It saves time over using a knife or razor saw.  Where it's most useful to me is quickly cutting larger styrene rods or strips for 1/35 diorama projects, which don't require super-precision.  Also handy are the metal angle guides that come with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the original Chopper too. It's great to make a lot of mitered  cuts in strip stock fast. Need framework for a building? Or lots of gussets?

Razor blades are cheap and where the new model shines is the self-healing cutting pad.

I was intrigued by your question.  I dismantled mine and I see it's a GEM blade.   The pad -- you can cut any pad to 4x4 in.   It's an indispensable tool for cutting rods or styrene pieces to equal lengths.

49872226782_f83eb67e90_b.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz