Academy 1/144 Rockwell B-1B Lancer 9th BS, 7th BW, Dyess AFB, TX

This is a tribute build for a friend who is retiring this summer.  He flew as a B/N and then was able to upgrade to a pilot on B-1Bs.  He was a Dyess man.  I built this kit mostly OOTB, just adding 3D printed afterburners to replace the kit provided cans.  I had no real problems assembling this kit, as it is engineered so well; it literally fell together, until I came to the engines. Be VERY careful with the numbers of the parts on the splitter plates and into which nacelle they fit (port or stbd).  I inadvertently put the wrong one into the stbd nacelle and wondered why it wouldn't close properly, leaving a big gap, so I took it apart and tried the other splitter plate assembly and it worked.  It made a small mess of the seam, but I was able to clean it up with a little putty and sanding stick.  After that, I paid very careful attention to the part numbers as I assembled the landing gear and the rest of the model.  The instructions call for assembling the forward gear first, but I would assemble the main gear legs first, then the forward gear leg, and let it sit and level itself before adding the tires.   I had trouble with the main l/g braces, both of which snapped on me.  I super-glued them and reset them, but the stbd one broke and the port one bent and went askew on me.  So don't judge to harshly there.  They are extremely thin & "true to scale" moldings, hence very fragile.  She is a little tippy.  Next one I will add 0.5 oz to the nose.  What is amazing to me is that Academy even includes the "last three" as a legible decal for the forward gear leg.  However, Academy does not supply the three pitots on both sides of the nose.  Painting and masking the bomb bays proved a small chore, with touch ups for over spray, but I am happy with the results.  My next kit will probably be closed bay.  Academy includes double bomb load sprues, so I plan on using the second set in my Revell 1/144 B-2A kit.  Oh, the decals went down beautifully.  I barely needed any Micro-Sol / Set for them to snuggle down.  My only disappointment is that the large wing walk is one solid decal, thus some air bubbles cropped up underneath.  Enjoy the pics. 

K/r,

Dutch  

Edited by Dutch

001a.thumb.JPG.23ab296806ebf6f47083c5c36a5c0196.JPG

Hmm, I received a note that I have used all of my attachment size allotment.  So now I must go through all of my gazillion posts and delete old content attachments to free up space to load more pics.  I think. Has anyone else run into this dilemma?  

Edited by Dutch

Thanks to my Three Amigos!  I will see if I can post more pics.

Here is a close-up of the nose gear strut with "Last Three."  Insanely small decal.  I was holding a magnifying glass in one hand, trying to keep the gear leg in focus while the tweezers and decal were in the other hand.   

002.thumb.JPG.b6aeca65027144a65dcea7d7d73fea78.JPG

Here is a zoom on the underside with weapons bays #1 & #2. I am a little disappointed that I did not paint the lt grey detail on the sides of the 2,000 # bombs.  It just got in the "too hard" category.  there are three more bombs under those that you cannot see.  I did sort of paint the brown wires running along the sides of the bomb bays.  You may be able to just may be able to make out that detail.  Except for the two snapped main u/c support struts, this is an excellent kit and highly recommended!  Go for it, Brothers Ray, Don, & Jonah!

003.thumb.JPG.f440bbbbc82e3f335a775b99669bb010.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Here is a close up of the port cockpit side. I used the canopy masks provided in the kit. I did not have good lighting when I applied them, hence their placement was a little off. The did perform beautifully, though.  The cockpit is painted, there are full instrument and throttle consoles and the seats have medium blue cushions, as the one B-1B that I visited had blue seat cushions.  The canopy is really quite clear, the red scratches are only  reflection of the overhead lights.  I will be more careful with my canopy lateral placement on the next kit as well.  You can almost read the aircraft data plate.

004.thumb.JPG.a2cb04ca6054bcec26b945e94e0af0c8.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Dutch wrote:

This is a tribute build for a friend who is retiring this summer.  He flew as a B/N and then was able to upgrade to a pilot on B-1Bs.

Dutch,

Nice effort on your B-1 bomber. I'm certain your friend will appreciate and cherish the

model, you built as a retirement gift... well done!

Thanks guys.  It was a learning experience.  I will use what I have learned on my second B-1B of the 34th BS, 28th BW, Ellsworth AFB.  Though I may change the "EL" tail code to the "MO" tailcode of the earlier 366th Wg.

Edited by Dutch

Thanks, Tom!  I hope my friend likes it.  I have to plan the event so that we don't exceed ten and we all keep our proper 6 ft distancing. How much alcohol do we need to consume to effect the killing of any CoVID virus? 

Edited by Dutch