1/48 Revell (Italeri) RAH-66 Comanche

So I managed to acquire an Revell of Germany RAH-66 in 1/48. These are the ex-Italeri kits and are not only hard to come by but the ones you do find are typically ridiculously over priced. This one was actually really cheap in comparison and probably what it was marked when originally released. My goal is to basically make it look like it went into operational service. A lot of my ideas are based on the current Bell Invictus design to get a mental image.

Before I get started on it I am trying to decide on a few things and wondered what you guys thoughts were.

1) Wheels up or down? I am more inclined to doing an-flight and using some pilot figures from an Hasegawa AH-64 to fill the cockpit (if they fit).

2) Armament? A few options are lingering in my mind. Hellfires on the outboard stations or trying to fit some Spike missiles? Isracast makes a Spike upgrade set for Israeli Cobras but I'm not really sure if I can manage fitting them. For internally held weapons I am thinking about mounting APKWS launchers or M-260 seven shot rocket pods. Phase Hanger resin makes the former while Werner's Wings makes the latter.

3) For markings I'm considering picking up Caracal's AH-64E sheet so I can use a shark mouth and a few other details.

What do y'all think?

https://phasehangarresin.com/products/48049-apkws-advanced-precision-kill-weapon-system-rocket-launcher-set-of-two?variant=13680336928803

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/isc48044.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Werners-Wings-Resin-48-07-Hellfire-Launcher-and-Missiles/261922994117?hash=item3cfbd3b7c5:g:ovwAAOSwBahVd4Ev

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Werners-Wings-Resin-48-03-M-260-Seven-shot-Rocket-Pod/250824021046?hash=item3a6646d436:g:guEAAOxywbNQ91IK

Your project, do as you wish. 

I have the 1/72 scale kit and if I get around to it, I plan to make it slick as it’s how it was sold to the USA. You could open the bay door just prior to attacking a target.

Paul, your bird looks good. That’s how I would build mine but added inserts or covers where the wing joins. 

It'll be loaded with ordnance on the wing stubs. I loved your build Paul and have gone back several times to see what you did on a few things. Something I needed to ask you was what were the measurements for the outboard fins you made on the vertical stabilizer? Are they just flat rectangular shaped or do they have the somewhat rounded shape on the ends?

What did you make them out of to get the correct shape? Just cardstock and sand it? That's the only thing that buggers me is how to get the right look. I don't want to just slap some flat stuff on it and call it a day.

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Just cardstock and sand it?

Yeah, it took a few goes to get the sharp thin curve passable.

These are the only shots I have making it. I did some cockpit work and really tried to thin the engine intakes on the inside so the mesh (not the kit supplied) would be more flush like the real one.

nbGiyDy.jpg

UYT4tGJ.jpgc3YT4aP.jpg

That's quite lovely Paul. Guess this might be a bit longer of a project than I anticipated. No matter it'll be awesome. Absolutely love the work you did on the IPs and the MFDs. I have been considering buying the Eduard cockpit set for the AH-1Z as the MFDs look to be about the same size and have the displays on, which would be fantastic if I am to put pilots in with the gear up.

Considering picking up a set of Dave Roof's FMV mods to attach to the tail boom. Problem is I know it would compromise the lower RCS of the Comanche however considering the large wing stubs will be attached it may not be an issue at all.

I doubt anyone is going to produce a new kit so yes, I'd say dig in and enjoy it. There's some cool what ifs out there people have done that might help with your decision.

The FMV mods are a great idea, maybe maybe it can be recessed with small doors like the F-35.

• 2 weeks later...