Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk Vb

Hi all, 

I have a choice of Spitfire kits to build, most of these have been in the stash for a few years waiting for their turn! 

IMG_20200406_151209

I chose the Airfix one. I've read multiple build threads and know it's not the easiest of kits to build so I'm prepared! 

Work started, as normal, in the cockpit. I agree with all the comments that have been made regarding the over-engineering of this kit. The rudder pedal section alone comprises of 4 parts, with the pedals themselves having vague fit at best. I persevered however and replaced the overly thick seat armour and also thinned down the headrest armour while I was at it. I also added some "representations" of the belts - admittedly not totally accurate, but I really dislike the flatness of etched parts. 

IMG_20200418_232057

IMG_20200418_232030

Once painted and weathered, everything's looks pretty decent, in particular the kit IP. 

IMG_20200426_200715

IMG_20200426_200908

IMG_20200426_201014

By far the most time has been spent trying to get the upper cowling to fit well. I was prepared for this, as many people have pointed it out but despite my very best efforts, and lots of scraping and sanding, I just could not get the correct cowling to fit at all well. I tried the alternative part, and the fit was much better so I surrendered and will be using it for an easy life! 

In these pics, only the nose section has been glued, the rest of the fuselage is taped. While there's still a clearly visible join, I'm confident this will disappear once glued. 

IMG_20200428_203812

IMG_20200428_203757

Thanks for looking! 

Matt 

12 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I like how you gave the belts a more leathery look. Not sure if it's accurate but I like it.

Thanks! Not my intention for them to represent leather because they're painted a canvas colour to match the reference photos I've seen! 

Edited by Matto

Matto,

I don't know if you picked the most difficult kit from the 4 to build, but so far you're doing

a very nice job with it. The seat looks much better with the upgraded Belts, and the nicely

painted instrument panel and the goodies in the cockpit are looking phabulous. B-looking

forward to seeing how this one turns-out... much success!

Edited by The Underdog

Thanks for the positive comment. All was going swimmingly until I noticed this moulding defect in the lower wing. 

IMG_20200429_163651

It corresponds with an ejector pin mark on the inner surface so can only assume it was damaged when being removed from the mould. 

Not insurmountable, but annoying and frustrating to say the least. 

Matt 

Hi all, 

Plodding on and nearly at the painting stage. The cannons fit reasonably well, but not well enough that they don't need filling and sanding. I also drilled out the barrels. 

IMG_20200505_003546_570

Note I've only fitted one here. 

Should be ready for the Azure Blue tonight with a bit of luck. 

Matt 

Undersides now painted. I used Vallejo Model Air for the first time and it was a mixed experience. 

IMG_20200506_165110

Still need to do some tidying up and I forgot to paint some of the smaller bits like the tail wheel, gear doors and wheel hubs. 

Matt 

21 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

Looking good.

Keep up the build and progress shots 📸

Cheers, 🍺

Mr. Happy 

Thanks for your interest. I managed to get started on the upper camo last night, slow but steady progress which hopefully can continue tonight. 

IMG_20200514_124441_972

Matt 

Matto,

Sweet paint job👍

Please let us know how well the main landing gear fits when you reach that stage of your build.

I’m currently working of the old 1993 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I and after that I hope to dig up an Mk.V.  Your work hear has inspired me to work on more Spitfires 😎

Cheers,

Mr. Happy 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Happy said:

Matto,

Sweet paint job👍

Please let us know how well the main landing gear fits when you reach that stage of your build.

I’m currently working of the old 1993 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I and after that I hope to dig up an Mk.V.  Your work hear has inspired me to work on more Spitfires 😎

Cheers,

Mr. Happy 

I've adapted the landing gear to allow me to attach it using wire which should provide additional strength. At least that's the theory. One thing is for certain, it was never going to work easily in the way its intended out of the box. 

I have a Tamiya Spitfire Vb in my stash - I'm looking forward to building it because I know it'll be a breeze in comparison. 

Matt 

On 5/10/2020 at 7:07 AM, Matto said:

Undersides now painted. I used Vallejo Model Air for the first time and it was a mixed experience. 

Matt 

Matt,

Using VMA for the first time, what did you Like and Not Like about it? Just asking for

curiosity's sake.

9 minutes ago, The Underdog said:

Matt,

Using VMA for the first time, what did you Like and Not Like about it? Just asking for

curiosity's sake.

I liked the colour and the coverage was good. I didn't like the issues I experienced when airbrushing - I thinned it down as per all paints I use but had endless issues with paint drying on the airbrush tip. Like every few seconds. I spent more time cleaning the tip than spraying. 

Lots of people suggested using flow improver but, as I only used this because Mr Hobby Aqueous don't do Azure Blue, I didn't think it worthwhile. If I was going to use these paints more often, I would certainly give it a go. 

The Middle Stone above is done using Mr Hobby Aqueous and I had no issues at all. 

HTH

Matt 

3 minutes ago, Matto said:

I liked the colour and the coverage was good. I didn't like the issues I experienced when airbrushing - I thinned it down as per all paints I use but had endless issues with paint drying on the airbrush tip. Like every few seconds. I spent more time cleaning the tip than spraying. 

Lots of people suggested using flow improver but, as I only used this because Mr Hobby Aqueous don't do Azure Blue, I didn't think it worthwhile. If I was going to use these paints more often, I would certainly give it a go. 

The Middle Stone above is done using Mr Hobby Aqueous and I had no issues at all.

HTH

Matt 

Matt,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it really helps because you're the one using the

paints and its your experience. I've heard the same things about VMA paints, I much

prefer using Tamiya and MRP, also Mr. Hobby Aqueous have a good track-record but

I haven't used those before.

I like the way the model is progressing, you're doing a nice job with it.

Thanks. I only used VMA because Mr Hobby don't do this colour in the Aqueous range and I lack the time or inclination to mix it myself! 

My preference is for Mr Hobby Aqueous or Tamiya Acrylics every time. Failing that I use Ammo. 

Matt 

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all, 

Glacial progress but I've finally managed to finish the painting apart from a few annoying corrections on the underside where the paint has lifted when the masking was removed. 

IMG_20200611_171416 IMG_20200611_171535

Next is a gloss coat to prepare for decals. 

Thanks for looking

Matt 

Thank you both for your comments. I'll hopefully do a bit of post shading before I apply the decals but I need to tidy up some of the boundaries between the colours first. 

Matt 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

Been ages since I've done any modelling, so finally kicked myself back into action yesterday. Here's where I'm up to with decalling. 

IMG_20200809_215018_407

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated! 

An empty house this weekend should have resulted in more progress, but good weather yesterday meant DIY and gardening had to take priority.

I managed to spend a bit of time at the bench last night and the majority of the decals are now applied. Can I just say again how good these DK Decals are...super thin and conform beautifully.

IMG_20200816_094438

IMG_20200816_094558

My only criticism is the cost and the very limited number of roundels and tail flashes provided meaning to get proper value from the set, you'd need to buy these separately (or use kit provided ones of course!).

The other markings are those supplied by Airfix in the kit and to be honest, I'm not convinced. They look too heavy to my inexpert eye.

Matt

Edited by Matto

Thanks Mr Happy! 

Decals mostly done, and starting to look like a Spitfire now, even with an unpainted spinner. 

Screenshot_20200817_224038

My attempt to overcome the problematic stepped undercarriage join provided by Airfix is to cut them flush, then drill and pin them. 

Screenshot_20200817_224020

Time will tell if it works, but I'm hoping it'll provide a stronger join. 

Matt 

Matto,

It looks like your on your way.

I hope your idea 💡 for the landing gear works out for your build. 👍

I like it and I’m certain you’ll meet the challenge and have yourself a great looking Mk.V😎

Cheers,

Mr. Happy