1:48 GWH T-33 RCAF ready out of the box?

On 4/29/2020 at 1:34 PM, is it windy yet? said:

Can any of the 1:48 Great Wall Hobby T-33 kits be built as an RCAF aircraft straight from the box?  If not which one is closest and what needs to be done with it?

Either kit can be used. You do need to make small modifications.

The early kit can be used for early CT-133s, all you need to add is the exhaust vent for the Nene engine, which was unique on Canadian built CT-133s. You need to drill a hole and create a channel. Very easy.

To model a late Silver Star, the late kit  has the NACA inlet on the gun door. You would need to add the exhaust vent for that system, which can be done easily with a piece of plastic card. Plus the above mod for the engine.

Leading Edge CT-133 Decals have decals for the NACA inlet and the engine exhaust, you’d still need to fabricate the exhaust vent on the gun door.

Edited by Scooby
17 hours ago, Scooby said:

Either kit can be used. You do need to make small modifications.

The early kit can be used for early CT-133s, all you need to add is the exhaust vent for the Orenda engine, which was unique on Canadian built CT-133s. You need to drill a hole and create a channel. Very easy.

To model a late Silver Star, the late kit  has the NACA inlet on the gun door. You would need to add the exhaust vent for that system, which can be done easily with a piece of plastic card. Plus the above mod for the engine.

Leading Edge CT-133 Decals have decals for the NACA inlet and the engine exhaust, you’d still need to fabricate the exhaust vent on the gun door.

I have drawn it out in 3D CAD and it is tiny. Not sure it would be worth it. I think I am going to use the one on the HC kit as a template and scratch it.

5 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I have drawn it out in 3D CAD and it is tiny. Not sure it would be worth it. I think I am going to use the one on the HC kit as a template and scratch it.

Are you referring to the NACA vent? I feel it is very obvious.

I just noticed the NACA vent is too high on the late kit for a Canadian version. The late kit is still good for the pylons for a late CT-133.

I wish I kept my Hobbycraft T-33s,  I have graft the NACA vent over.

1 hour ago, skyhawk524 said:

Late model CT-133's also had one piece windscreens. With several on the warbird circuit, that is probably the quickest way to tell if one is a Lockheed jet, or early Canadian model.

The easiest way to tell if it is a late model is the NACA inlet and the vent. Early models only had the exhaust outlet for the Nene engine.

Only just over a dozen received the one piece front canopy in the final years of service, I hear it may have been up to 18. So very few. I’d love the one piece canopy to do a black scheme.

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Are you referring to the NACA vent? I feel it is very obvious.

I just noticed the NACA vent is too high on the late kit for a Canadian version. The late kit is still good for the pylons for a late CT-133.

I wish I kept my Hobbycraft T-33s,  I have graft the NACA vent over.

Yup it is noticeable but what I meant was maybe it might be better to scratch. Still have one HC kit left.