CD48188 - 1/48 Air National Guard P-47

5 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

Good stuff in this thread.

LINKAGE

Wow!  Beautiful pics! Though I think that the flight of four Mustangs with the WN ANG titles should be 116th FIS, 141st FIG, Washington ANG based on the Ace of Spades badge on the nose.

Edited by Dutch

I just finished cobbling together my own improvised markings for a Vermont ANG F-47D in 1/72.  Very, very tough to find the pics I do have.  Would love to see some attention to the Vermont TBolts and Mustangs.

PLpEqPC.jpg

o98p3Ti.jpg

Y7BZVDw.jpg

Q7zXay0.jpg

8ftQbzu.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
13 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

So does the RS kit of the "H" 

Ayuh! Got that one too, but I thought your F-47D was 1/48, but I am even more impressed now I see the 1/72 note. 😎

Edited by Dutch

So after the war, did the M version just disappear?  I haven't seen anything about them making it to the ANG. D's and N's seem to be predominant.  Any Ideas.

Geoff M

Geoff,

The P-47M was a lighter weight, more powerful engine / supercharger combo, hence faster version of the D-30.  Only four developmental models followed by the last 130 D-30s conversions off the Farmingdale production line were built.  They were quickly fielded to the 56th FG in late 1944, but had many engine problems.  Plus they had no wing racks.   Good for chasing V1 pulse jets.  I think the postwar Air Force was looking for a Chevy, not a Porsche to give to the Guard.  That, and the fact that they only made 130 Ms out of a production run of 15,636 P-47s (Mostly D/Gs), you do the math!

The P-47N was the heaviest P-47, but becasue of the increased wing area and fuel tankage, also the longest range and most maneuverable. 1667 Ns were built, so plenty to go around for the Guard.  

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling

Most of the remaining P-47M's were scrapped wholesale post war at Boxted,England in the summer of '45..a 'handful' ie 3 or 4 airframes got transferred to other units, the 4th FG @ Debden and the 479th @ Wattisham IIEC who were expecting to move to the Pacific and continue the fight against the Japanese flying P-47N's to give Mustang jocks some early Jug seat time but they dropped the A-bombs before deployments could be carried out

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dutch said:

Ooorah!  You know my wish, P-47D-30RA from the 133rd FIS, New Hampshire ANG, 1947-1952 in 1/48 & 1/72 scale.

233023-11761-91.jpg.ba9629845bfe0931fcdba5df5792d138.jpg

Hi Dutch,

Old thread, but do you know if this logo was on both sides of the NHNG P47 fuselage?  If so, was it reversed?  Looking to do an NHNG P47 and this logo is easy enough to draw on plain decal paper.

Thank,

Rod

Edited by Rod D

Rod,

All the photos that I have of NH ANG P-47s are posted in this thread page 1.  As you can see, no badge on right side of fuselage or cowling. Just the two variations on the left side.  I would be interested to see what you come up with as I could use a couple 1/48 and 1/72 badges for several projects.

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Rod,

All the photos that I have of NH ANG P-47s are posted in this thread page 1.  As you can see, no badge on right side of fuselage or cowling. Just the two variations on the left side.  I would be interested to see what you come up with as I could use a couple 1/48 and 1/72 badges for several projects.

HTH,

Dutch

Good enough for me!  Thanks,

Rod.