I was just wondering if anyone knew of where I might be able to find a conversion kit for a Convair TF-102 Delta Dagger in 1/48 scale. I’ve been dying to build a model of this aircraft in 48th scale for years now, but have never been able to find a conversion kit to make one. 

Edited by Griffin2929

I saw one for sale not too far back (within last 60 days) for triple digits.  Can't remember if it was on the ARC Forum Sale board or on eVilbay.  

Edited by Dutch

RVHP makes a resin conversion for the Hasegawa kit ( a LOT OF WORK ), and Grand Models makes one for the Meng

F-102.  He’s out of Greece and it looks pretty doable. Xtraparts did a vacuform conversion centuries ago; but not sure??

These are ALL 1:72nd conversions, not 1/48.

The C&H kit is pretty good ( even has decals ), but think it’s the only 1/48 kit. And yes, they’re pretty hard to find and not really cheap.

foxbat

11 minutes ago, afoxbat said:

Xtraparts did a vacuform conversion centuries ago; but not sure??

Hannants (owners of Xtraparts, have the kit available at present. The body is injection moulded, with a vac form canopy and white metao seats, etc, and it retails for £7.99.

I bought one last year and mated it to a Meng kit. Not a bad result.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

I saw one for sale not too far back (within last 60 days) for triple digits.    

Triple digits???????

I better check the back of the stash 'cause if memory serves I still have 1, maybe 2 ! ! ! 

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

4 hours ago, Griffin2929 said:

Thanks for the info everyone. It’s looking more and more like I may have to settle for 1/72 on this one.

I have the 1/48 C & H conversion and no use for it as my Century Series kits are long gone. It's in the original box in perfect shape. I paid $50.00 Cdn for it years ago and will take the exact same for it now. I don't know where you are so I can't quote you on postage from Canada. I will take PayPal. If you are interested just PM me. If you would like to see any pictures of it first, just say the word.

7 hours ago, afoxbat said:

Griffin2929,

Just my two cents; I’d jump at Tom’s offer. The kit’s not too bad and they’re not to be had. Plus, it’ll look great next to you

F-105.....😉👍

foxbat

afoxbat,

I totally agree, it’s so great to have people in the community that are so willing to help out fellow modelers with their projects. And don’t worry, that F-105 is on the workbench!😉👍

The C&H is a piece of crap. I had one and noticed it was completely wrong. I contacted the company and told them about the issue...   They told me they know it’s wrong but if I want to fix it they will send me the data. Later on I got my hands on Maintrack conversation and realized it was just as bad. It seems C&H copied something that was jacked up and apparently didn’t bother to check if it was correct or not

this is what the C&H kit looks like.  The only TF that I ever saw was at the little museum at Lackland A.F.B. back in the 70s .

scan0367.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the picture, it wasn't a good day.  You will have to put on all those little vortex generators on the canopy, after you make them.  They are very thin and not too big.

scan0148-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, peterburns said:

The C&H is a piece of crap. I had one and noticed it was completely wrong. I contacted the company and told them about the issue...   They told me they know it’s wrong but if I want to fix it they will send me the data. Later on I got my hands on Maintrack conversation and realized it was just as bad. It seems C&H copied something that was jacked up and apparently didn’t bother to check if it was correct or not

It all depends on how passionate you are about the subject. If you're talking F-14's, I'll be able to tell you if something is off. The TF-102? If it looks like it, it's fine by me. That's because I don't have a passion for it. In regards to your post, it would probably be a lot more informative if you described why and how it was wrong, not just say it's a piece of crap. Is the casting bad? Are the details wrong? Is the shape wrong? Surely no one would mistake it for an F-111. Not directed at you personally, but I get a bit tired of the hyperbole used about a kit that someone is passionate about. Just give the facts and let others decide if it's worth getting.

Might be of some help:

1/48 TF-102A C & H Aero Miniatures Resin Conversion Parts 1 - 4

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1%2F48+TF-102A+C+%26+H+Aero+Miniatures+Resin+Conversion

Some good info on the C & H kit:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044437-tf-102-cygnus-model-148-conversion-set/

And a build with corrections made to the C & H kit

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal3/2301-2400/Gal2336-TF-102-Hawkey/00.shtm

Personally, I find the kit looks more slick & aerodynamic before the correction....even if fictitious.  After the correction, it does look more accurate and resembles the real thing, but to me, more pug-faced and squashed....even if it's more accurate. :rolleyes:

I am currently working on a C&H F-100F conversion for a Monogram F-100.  I couldn't be more pleased with it right now.  The main parts are the fuselage and they obviously are direct copies of the Monogram fuselage with an appropriate stretch for the second seat.  It fit as good as the monogram fuselage with the same level of detail.  I am substituting an Aires cockpit for the C&H version and adding an Aires burner can too!  I have previously built a F-105B using a C&H conversion for the Monogram kit.  It also worked very well.  So obviously one man's crap is another man's treasure.😀

Geoff M

I have two of those Geoff. Been on the back-burner for a long time. I've almost been tempted to sell them and just go with the Trumpeter kit, nose inlet and all. Would love to see yours when its complete.

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I have two of those Geoff. Been on the back-burner for a long time. I've almost been tempted to sell them and just go with the Trumpeter kit, nose inlet and all. Would love to see yours when its complete.

I am getting to the point in the build where I have to deal with the canopy.  It is vacform and I already cut it out, but it is very thin and flexible.  I'm not a real fan of vac canopies but I don't have a choice.  

Geoff M

Don't forget you still have those vortex generators to deal with.   Never understood why they put them there.

I have some very thin plastic or aluminum from a printing plate I salvage from work.  When I used to work there,  Just left over srcap but clean.