5 hours ago, Corey said:

Richard Rhodes has such an interesting body of work.  I haven’t read that Energy book yet, is it good?

thanks for being responsive to our decal subject requests!

I’m primarily a 1/48 modeler, but to take advantage of many markings options, 1/144 and 1/72 might also be appropriate for B-29 modeling.  I have the Fujimi 1/144 kit and it’s nice, what is the recommended 1/72 kit?  I’m guessing Academy?

The next logical follow on to B-29 sheets are B-50 sheets for the Academy kit.  🙂

I really like Rhodes' book on the history of energy so far - like many of us, I read his earlier books on the history of nuclear weapons and I really like his thoroughness and writing style.

When I get around to designing the first B-29 sheet (most likely not before the end of 2020), I will most likely release it in 1/72 first and 1/144 second - the airframe is quite big in 1/48 and a 1/48 sheet will require some planning. 

I really like the B-50 and I'm sure I will address it at some point. It somehow looks better than the B-29.

It does look better.  The Boeing designed R4360 engine nacelle on the B-50/KC-97 has always looked like power and speed even, when at a stand still.  If you want to see what it would look like in a single engine application,  just look at the XF8B-1.  Magnificent airplane.

Rick L.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, Charlie D. said:

I’ve contemplated at times molding up the monogram B-29 from the front bulkhead forward and casting a dozen copies to do a ton of nose art canvases!

Do this in 1/72 with vacuformed half canopies and I would buy a bunch!! I love the idea of having a bunch of half planes mounted on a board and handing on the wall. 

Sean

Wow never knew that so many pieces of nose art existed. Makes sense though as it was a perfect canvas for them. It should be yet another great seller.

Funny thing is that I just got my first Monogram 1/48th B-29 late last year. Never had one before for some silly reason. I got it because I found some decals for it for green camo B-29s with nose art. The kit I got was started but was done well plus the price was right.

It is a big kit so I am glad Kursad is thinking of this in 1/72nd. Much more manageable cost and size..

5 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

Do this in 1/72 with vacuformed half canopies and I would buy a bunch!! I love the idea of having a bunch of half planes mounted on a board and handing on the wall. 

I thought about doing this with vertical stabilizers of modern jets to show different tail markings without having to build a series of entire kits. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's off-topic, but there has been talk about the B-50 already here, too.

I can't seem to find anything about it on Minicraft's own page, but Hobby Search list the 1/144 Minicraft B-50A to be released next month (June 2020): https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10697578

It was originally announced for February 2018. Normally, those Japanese shops are pretty accurate about their release dates, so I think that it's real at last.

Would love to see some fresh B-29 markings.

You could do a separate sheet alone on just 509th BW/Silverplate B-29s. Outside of the Monogram kit decals, good luck finding proper "ENOLA GAY" decals in 1/48 scale. Superscale did them a long time ago but I get the feeling they (and other aftermarket decal manufacturers) just assume stay clear of the subject.

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, KursadA said:

Folks, was "Fertile Myrtle" (The Navy X-plane mothership) was ever done in decal form in any scale?

The eagles talon 1/48 X-1A/B resin kit included a scale master printed sheet with these markings. I’ve got one somewhere....but they’re pretty rare. 

you can see it on scale mates 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eagles-talon-none-bell-x-1-and-x-1a-b--950232

Edited by Charlie D.
340534main_E-9_full

Yep Eagles Talon did a sheet cover the Bell X-1 and B-29 Mother/Drop ship...don't recall Fertile Myrtle ever being done.

Academy did once hint at a P2B-1S Fertile Myrtle boxing of their 1/72 B-29 kit but it never happened...guess they needed a 1/72 D-558-II Skyrocket to complete the boxing.

3 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

340534main_E-9_full

Yep Eagles Talon did a sheet cover the Bell X-1 and B-29 Mother/Drop ship...don't recall Fertile Myrtle ever being done.

Academy did once hint at a P2B-1S Fertile Myrtle boxing of their 1/72 B-29 kit but it never happened...guess they needed a 1/72 D-558-II Skyrocket to complete the boxing.

You’re right! I stand corrected. The nose art is similar, I just assumed the eagles talon sheet had fertile myrtle on it, it doesn’t!

• 1 year later...