This is #10 in my Vermont ANG line. 

No conversion to be found for the Italeri kit, so a huge number of modifications to be done on my own, including the engine intakes and exhausts.  Intakes since they are inaccurate for the EB, and the exhausts because they are almost non-existent and need more than 4mm of depth.  Yes, those are McD's straws providing the exhaust chamber.

7IeR2lV.jpg

VJwBeHb.jpg

CWTQu4M.jpg

6U4d6pM.jpg

d8meiaQ.jpg

Cockpit canopy will be closed, but it's transparent enough to need something better underneath than what is given.  Basic structure is ok, just saw that a secondary right-hand panel is needed.  Decals were cut from Hasegawa F-4 Phantom cockpit decals, a huge improvement.  

Found it interesting that the cockpit controls cover the sidewalls of the front cockpit, not only the horizontal surfaces.  

One additional black box for each cockpit at the top left hand.  

lbBs2y7.jpg

2Bv849W.jpg

Large rectangular blade antennae which cover this, especially the ventrals, are made from kit sprue heavily thinned, as this will be stronger than making them from Evergreen styrene.

O6MdjVK.jpg

Nice work on that 'pit! :thumbsup: The decals really look quite convincing.

Good to see an EB-57. The B-57 doesn't get near enough love, especially the non-Vietnam versions.

Thank you! 

Here's how I did the ALE-2 chaff dispenser pods.  Going with a combination of photos and the measurements redone to 1/72 (58.7mm x 6.9mm) I used sections of gunpods from the Hasegawa Weapons Set #2 to make the body and tailcone.  After a lot of sanding to shape, the details were added or cut or drilled in.  

8kUM55m.jpg

1lln69F.jpg

4HNeOsi.jpg

DdwxLXP.jpg

L0e3uyF.jpg

Beautiful work Andrew.  Love how you improved the engines and cockpit.  Good enough is good enough.  I like how you scratched the ALE-2 chaff pods.  Keep up the great work.  Looking forward to seeing it in Vermont markings.  

Edited by Dutch

Thank you!

Here are the plethora of EB mods, all scratchbuilt.  Did the best I could; one of the items under the tail I'm not sure about the shape...did the best I could with the references I could find.  Large beacon light above and below made from carving/filing/sanding clear sprue.

There's a plug under the nose where I had to drill a hole to add even more weight; I had added some before, but it wasn't enough; it needed a LOT.

8e3yDok.jpg

YkyVvpo.jpg

uXs5VKv.jpg

F05YC3N.jpg

6eRY9Ij.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I will follow this, as I plan to build a B-57 soon myself. Would ove to do a "special" version, but it will be most likely a conventional bird.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

Painting this beast is going far slower than I'd anticipated....but has the potential to be a real beauty if I keep my focus.  Then again, I've got plenty of distractions, being a teacher at the end of the school year in a crisis....

r59cCaf.jpg

8YeIHd8.jpg

Andrew,

You're doing some amazingly cool things to this model. With all the modifications, its

probably safe to say - it will be a unique looking "One of a Kind" EB-57 in any collection.

The finished model is destined in being spectacular!

Thank you for the kind comments!

Decaling was a nightmare...I've really got to stop choosing subjects for which there are no available decals!

It took all day, using whatever I was able, but here's what I scavenged from:

-Wolfpak decals (EB-57 from 72-024 "Arctic Air Command," Vermont-specific F-102 markings from 72-072)

-Serial number lettering from Repliscale USAF letters/numbers sheet, combined with numbers from Wolfpak EB-57 markings

-Hasegawa kit decals: ANG badge, outstanding unit ribbon

-Superscale: F-4 and F-102 stencilling/labelling 

-Italeri B-57 kit decals: engine striping

9lqmCGn.jpg

Avn2Olo.jpg

dQ1AgMu.jpg

uypI278.jpg

6R5SwX1.jpg

Thank you!  Yes, all 1/72; this and another bird currently in paint are #10 & 11 in the series.  

My big collection is the 31-strong Jolly Rogers history, all 1/72, their complete history in 1/72.  Took an entire decade to research and do.  

Spent several tedious days poring over every photo of Vermont's EB's I could in order to figure out more of the stencilling.  Pretty much nothing available right now in 1/72, so I tried to match what I saw with Superscale F-4 and F-102 stencils/markings.  Got reasonably close, enough to make the airframe appear "busy" and mostly accurate.  All improvised.

Yes, the "NO STEP" stencils were cut into two so the "NO" could be positioned over the "STEP" instead of in-line with it.  

Bomb bay striping (thin black stripe) was from Hasegawa kit F-4 walkway line decals.  

tGacE3S.jpg

J2fblt1.jpg

fkAvyEr.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

<...> Yes, the "NO STEP" stencils were cut into two so the "NO" could be positioned over the "STEP" instead of in-line with it.  <...>

Great! Goin' the extra mile. :thumbsup:

FINAL DETAILS

Did a wash over the airframe, then a spray of clear satin, to represent the worn gloss.  Had to mask the walkways first to preserve their ultra-flat finish.

U9TNFiL.jpg

hfxUDMZ.jpg

STILL not enough nose weight even after drilling into it and adding more after the fact :soapbox:  So here's an act of desperation that worked.  Took the resin (Quickboost) ESPACAC seats and a Dremel drill, hollowed out the seat bottom and part of the back.  Then cut and crushed pieces of lead sinker to fit.  This proved to be JUST enough to work.

lQaWsiX.jpg

xrvX7x4.jpg

3zHTnbM.jpg

Decided I needed to add some detail to the inner maingear doors, even though I thought I was done with them.  Just criminal to leave them as featureless slabs after all the other work, so I added the hinges and retraction jack made from the actuators from Monogram F-4D speedbrakes (I think).

ixSULqn.jpg

E3vTJn3.jpg

Now just the final tidbits including scratchbuilding a windshield wiper and touching up the Alclad Stainless Steel to the exhuast nozzles.  End is in sight!

XWZ5u4f.jpg

E3r1QCs.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy