F-4B VF-111 decals-Printscale

How are there decals? I was looking at sheet 72-058 and noticed they include some markings not

used. The VF-111 plane shows slime lights and a buzz number on the rear fuselage. If memory serves

me right Bu 153019 in 1971 did not have slime lights or the buzz number on the rear fuselage. Not a

problem as I would just not use them. Are they of good quality outside of that? Decent colors? jon

Not sure about the markings specifically, but you asked about PrintScale.  Generally ok decals, not quite on the scale with Fightertown/TwoBobs/Wolfpak/Caracal, but they do the job fine, especially since they do many otherwise uncovered subjects.  I will tell you they are INCREDIBLY thin, and the first one you try to use will take you by surprise.  After a couple of tries, one "gets the knack" and it's not so bad.  I strongly suggest you start out trying a couple on the sheet that you are not planning to use, as practice.

They're screen printed like Caracal, etc. I wasn't very impressed with their RF-101A/C sheet. Like Andrew says, they're very thin. The white parts on mine were translucent enough to see the blue decal paper through them.

Draw Decals is an entirely different animal. As I understand it, they use a process similar to a laser printer and the ink is impervious to setting solutions. I've found heat works best to beat them into submission. I'll dip a cotton bud or paper towel in almost-boiling water and use it to press them into place.

Ben

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 2:34 PM, jonwinn said:

I just rechecked the sheet. Isn't 2278 the last 4 numbers of the Bu number? Why would

F-4B Bu 153019 have 2278 and not 3019? jon

Yes the larger 4 numbers are the last four of the BuNo, it would match the smaller F-4B/BuNo identifier marking on the tail (in this case, they don't match as you've noticed). I'm not familar with VF-111 and MiG killers, I'm not sure which BuNo is the correct one?

Also be aware that all of the lettering/numbering (BuNos, modex, carriers, squadron designations) on that sheet is also drawn in 45deg USAF/Army style which is not correct.

Edited by ziggyfoos
(to clarify, I make decals, but my statement above is valid and I don't offer any 1/72 F-4 decals to compete with printscale offerings)
19 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Not sure about the markings specifically, but you asked about PrintScale.  Generally ok decals, not quite on the scale with Fightertown/TwoBobs/Wolfpak/Caracal, but they do the job fine, especially since they do many otherwise uncovered subjects.  I will tell you they are INCREDIBLY thin, and the first one you try to use will take you by surprise.  After a couple of tries, one "gets the knack" and it's not so bad.  I strongly suggest you start out trying a couple on the sheet that you are not planning to use, as practice.

Couldn't agree more with this.  They come off the paper backing very quickly too, and usually tend to want to roll up on itself.  So be cognizant of that.  Like Andrew said, after a few you kinda get the hang of it, but you REALLY have to continue to concentrate when removing and applying.  I found that even after getting the knack of use, if I was not careful it would roll up on me.

But print quality seems pretty good, and they do tend to do subjects not found elsewhere.  That would be the only case I would use them again in the future.

What I has seen is almost of their sheets on the cold war to modern USN  subjects have wrong 45 degrees numbers/letters. But the latest 72-390 F-14 Pt.3 start to get correct style 30 deg. Have no idea if they has just relized something not quite right with their research for long time and want to get back to the right track?

Regarding decals thickness my F-111 white tail code markings seems obviously too thin compare to later Printscale releases such as F-105 sheeets I hope that double application as the sheets has enough quantity of tail codes will relieve the problem.

Thanks for the answers, the large Bu number 2278 is an F-4N from the 1975-76 time range.

I think I might just go with an old Superscale sheet. I never liked decals that rolled up on

themselves and have incorrect font. Not my cup of tea. jon

On 5/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I'll second Andrew's comments.   I used them recently.  Very thin and a bit fragile.   For larger decals, I ended up cutting them into smaller sections prior to application.   The plus side is they are very thin.   They respond great to Micro Set / Sol and look fantastic once dry, certainly better than the stock Tamiya decals I also used.  Just take your time and you'll be fine applying them. 

Won't comment on their accuracy aside to say that for my project, they missed a couple of markings but as pictures of my subject were very, very uncommon, I'm not holding that against them. 

Edited by 11bee