I spent the day watching, in order, what I think are the best three Star Wars movies. I started with Rogue One, went to New Hope, and finished with Empire Strikes Back. I could take or leave all the others. I know, I'm not a true SW fan. 😥

14 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I spent the day watching, in order, what I think are the best three Star Wars movies. I started with Rogue One, went to New Hope, and finished with Empire Strikes Back. I could take or leave all the others. I know, I'm not a true SW fan. 😥

I agree with you. The first three are the best. I remember seeing A New Hope in the theater when it came out. The audience stood up and cheered at the end of the movie. We were all in awe. Nobody had ever seen anything like it.

The second three are terrible in my opinion. I am enjoying the last series somewhat. I will finally get to see the last installment now that it has been released on Disney Plus.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Bull shiggidy, I'm a "True Star Wars Fan est. 1977", and I agree with you 100%.  The Skywalker trilogy was straight trash.  In fact, since its a long 3-day weekend where I'm at right now, I'm going to replicate that order, Darren.

I'm about to finish up the last 3 episodes of season 7 of Clone Wars.  I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Asohka's storyline. I'm hoping that Asohka's reaction to Baby Yoda in the second season of The Mandalorian will be done right.  Rosario Dawson, mmmm...

14 hours ago, Mstor said:

...I remember seeing A New Hope in the theater when it came out. The audience stood up and cheered at the end of the movie. We were all in awe. Nobody had ever seen anything like it...

I saw "Star Wars" in the theater in 1977.  "A New Hope" was several years in the future.

22 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I saw "Star Wars" in the theater in 1977.  "A New Hope" was several years in the future.

Well, whatever it was called back in 1977.  I saw it in May of 1977. I remember because my son was born that May.

I just Googled it and you're right, Lucas added the name to the opening crawl in 1981, after the release of ESB, he re-released Star Wars and added "Episode IV A New Hope".

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Future revisionist history....  lol

Yea. Lucas kept adding stuff to re-releases. Its to the point where you can't find the original untouched version except on old VHS. There are "despecialized" versions of the first three movies available but they are difficult to obtain and require some work to get put together (the come in multipart files in various formats). If interested, you can start here:

https://cord-cutters.gadgethacks.com/how-to/download-watch-original-star-wars-trilogy-unaltered-0167065/

Oh and Solo shot first!

53 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Yea. Lucas kept adding stuff to re-releases. Its to the point where you can't find the original untouched version except on old VHS. There are "despecialized" versions of the first three movies available but they are difficult to obtain and require some work to get put together (the come in multipart files in various formats). If interested, you can start here:

https://cord-cutters.gadgethacks.com/how-to/download-watch-original-star-wars-trilogy-unaltered-0167065/

Oh and Solo shot first!

The only thing that Lucas added that I liked was the "thunk" when the Stormtrooper his head on the door sill. That was awesome. 

Something to have fun with is when Luke tells Kanobi that the droids belong to Obi Wan. Kanobi says, "Obi Wan, There's a name I haven't heard in a long time." He then pauses dramatically before continuing. "A long time." What's fun to do is yell out "How long?" during the pause. They did it a showing when I was in college and the whole theater erupted in laughter. 

And yes, Han shot first!

• 2 weeks later...

25438643_10212587628978223_7321567604807

I just watched the last one.  I'm happy with the series.  I'm glad they did better towards the end.

I had darth vader underoos as a kid. 1979, my first bass

Edited by Bounce

I think what makes Star Wars so impactful for most of us is two-fold. One, nothing like that had ever been seen on the film before. Second, most of us were young at the time of the release. It helped form our childhood. The innocence we had played a part in how important it became to us. As adults, it's hard to recapture that because of the cynicism that has crept into our lives and built up over the years. If you ask kids today what they thought of the new Star Wars trilogy, you will get many of the same reactions we had. If you really, really take an honest look at the original films, the story line was pretty hokey and dialogue was mediocre at best. But none of that matters because it's so AWESOME!!!!!!!  😄