THE FINAL HURDLE!... 1:20 scale scratch built B17G

Hi there guys

Time for another update

My last post was the building of the bottom half of the tail wheel section and this time its the detail above the tail wheel!....I have had a lot of trouble finding information and photos of this area as I mentioned in the last post which forced me to kind of use my imagination a bit!....Well I was photographing what I had done and decided to take it all apart because I came across a photo of a C-1 auto pilot unit that sits on a tray just above the tail wheel!(2 days of work down the drain!☹️) .....I have found that there seems to have been different pieces of equipment depending on the model and year of the aircraft!....this of course gave me a headache because I had to decide what I was going to place in this area ....so I went with the C-1 autopilot.

The other big problem I had was the fact that some of the parts extended from the roof of the fuselage down to the floor!....this was difficult for me as I had to line it all up so that when the upper and lower halves were joined it all connected up!...so a lot of trial and error and dry fitting took place!...the joys of scratch building!😉

So the first 2 photos is of the retracting gear assembly just above the tail wheel it self....I built this out of bits of plastic and a cutting of one of my Bass guitar strings (kind of looks like the activating screw!)....

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS.jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(1).jpg

A few more parts now added and more Bass guitar strings!

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(2).jpg

The two white unpainted plastic parts you see in this next photo was the real problem lining up with the bottom section!

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(3).jpg

Here is my attempt at making the C-1 auto pilot unit.......

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(4).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(5).jpg

...and painted...

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(6).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(7).jpg

So after it was all painted ,here is the end result with the two halves together showing you different angles....

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(8).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(9).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(10).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(11).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(12).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(13).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(14).jpg

...and my favourite shots of looking down through the fuselage!!....

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(15).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(16).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(17).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(18).jpg

I still have to place a few cables coming from the Auto pilot unit but that's basically the tail wheel area complete.

So I turned my attention to the control line rigging that I thought would be easy compared with the last bit....I guess it was just time consuming and fiddly!

I first made 8 x cable guides that keep the control lines away from the fuselage sides...it took me hours!!

CONTROL_CABLES.jpg

The cable guides were then put in place and then using some fishing line I pulled it all  taught from one end of the fuselage through to the rear. I did made a mistake and had to move the position a tad as I forgot to line the cables up with the cables on the front section of this B17G already built ...duhh!

CONTROL_CABLES_(1).jpg

CONTROL_CABLES_(2).jpg

CONTROL_CABLES_(3).jpg

CONTROL_CABLES_(4).jpg

Okay.....so now I had to turn my attention to the area between the tail wheel and the Cheyenne turret at the rear.

This is causing this project to come to a grinding halt! I have trawled the internet for hours and hours...looked in books and I just cant seem to find any photos/drawings/diagrams....absolutely nothing except the flooring!...There is the Elevator and hinge control cable actuated mechanisms above the floors ....but alas nothing but a few obscure photos either out of focus or just a slight glimpse of what I need!....I resorted to looking at photos of damaged B17s that have the tail unit blown off!....you kind of get a rough idea of the area but of course it's all mangled metal!....I have also written to the Lyon Museum in California who have "Fuddy Duddy" on display to see if they can help me...waiting for a response.

Here is the said area....

CONTROL_CABLES_(5).jpg

So if any of you great modellers have any info or photos that I haven't seen then please please give me the heads up!....but I'm not holding my breath!

Well that's it for now.....till the next time...

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

I sent this and several others to your BM message, but in case folks here want to know as well: 

Yankee Lady Looking forward to where the control cables split up for rudder and elevators. Also note the V-shaped brace that the electric wiring is coming through)

123857602_124635382745609_83501080269000

and 

Shady Lady when it was at McMinnville. This is looking up through the escape hatch. Note how the cables go back to the pulleys on the arm that actually raises and lowers the elevators. There seems to be a canvas cover for the elevator pole on the outside of the fuselage.

123904684_124630722746075_64707171823638

5 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I sent this and several others to your BM message, but in case folks here want to know as well: 

Yankee Lady Looking forward to where the control cables split up for rudder and elevators. Also note the V-shaped brace that the electric wiring is coming through)

123857602_124635382745609_83501080269000

and 

Shady Lady when it was at McMinnville. This is looking up through the escape hatch. Note how the cables go back to the pulleys on the arm that actually raises and lowers the elevators. There seems to be a canvas cover for the elevator pole on the outside of the fuselage.

123904684_124630722746075_64707171823638

Cheers Steve!....got the other photos mate!

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone

Time for an update!

In the last post I mentioned that I was having a problem with finding information and photographs of the area immediately to the rear of the tail wheel tub........Well since then I have had great help with photos and info from some fellow modelers ....so a BIG THANK YOU goes out to Ol'Scrapiron for his help in sending me the photos that I desperately needed to continue with this part of the build. I also reached out to the museum that looks after B17G "Fuddy Duddy" to see if they could help me but I never got a reply!

So after shifting through all the photos and studying  them I came to the conclusion that a lot of the detail that I had already built into the area had to be changed as I was just guessing what it looked like from the photos I had!......so I carefully took pieces off here and there ready to start a fresh......very frustrating but it had to be done!

..................but before we get into all that I can show you some new detail that didn't need ripping out!

I made a fire extinguisher out of a plastic cocktail stick!......this first photo is of the real extinguisher....

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION.jpg

...and here is my effort....

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION_(1).jpg

I haven't a clue why I have to post a few photos at a time on here...any body know why?

...anyway.....on wards!

I also made a little tail wheel crank for emergency use....imagine how exhausting that was to hand crank down!

TAIL_WHEEL_HANDCRANK.jpg

So now to the correction of the detail in this area..............

From the new photos I noticed that there were not one but two C1 auto pilot units. In a sense I was pleased about this as the one I previously made seemed very long! After doing a bit of measuring I reckoned that if I cut the unit I made in half I could make the two I needed!...it would be just a case of adding some extra detail for the second unit and a bit of tidying up. So I carefully pulled the unit of its tray.....not easy as most of my detail I super glue in!...but never the less got it out without too much damage.It was then cut in half and made into two units........

CHANGING_THE_DETAIL.jpg

...and then carefully glued back onto the shelf.....

CHANGING_THE_DETAIL_(1).jpg

OMG!.......The next correction was a lot more difficult!

One of the bulkheads at the rear of the tail wheel was in the wrong position by at least 5-7mm. Doesn't seem much in the scheme of things but it was throwing all the detail that I had to do out of scale! ....here is what I mean.....

MOVING_THE_BULKHEAD_(1).jpg

MOVING_THE_BULKHEAD_(2).jpg

MOVING_THE_BULKHEAD_(3).jpg

It took me some time but adjusted it all in the end with pieces of plastic!

Now I was ready to detail the area with the use of the new photos. Between the two bulkheads past the tail wheel there is all the pulley system used to pass the control cables to the elevator and rudder....all very small and fiddly.......for example here is one of the many pulleys I had to make.......

CABLE_PULLEYS.jpg

Here is that section painted........

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(1).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(2).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(3).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(4).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(5).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(6).jpg

Although it set me back a week or so I am pleased that I made the correction.....I have to say it was driving me mad as I knew it wasn't correct....at least now it looks a lot better!

Finally the photo shot that I like taking....I know you have seen it before but there are subtle differences!....well that's my excuse anyway!

LOOKING_BACK_TOWARDS_REAR.jpg

Back to staring at photos before I attempt to continue to the rear of this B17!...Thanks a lot for looking at all this....appreciate it!

Cheers

Fozzy

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

Although it set me back a week or so I am pleased that I made the correction.....I have to say it was driving me mad as I knew it wasn't correct....at least now it looks a lot better!

Isn't it interesting how powerful that feeling can be.

Here's wishing the cables don't end up needing to be corrected!

2 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Isn't it interesting how powerful that feeling can be.

Here's wishing the cables don't end up needing to be corrected!

God forbid! 😩.......no..... right or wrong they are staying that way!😉

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

This will be my last post for this year as I am off to the UK in a couple of days time to see family and friends.

So another year is coming to an end (glad this one is nearly over!)...and this project still hasn't come to the end! I can't believe that I started this in 2011 with the nose section!....9 years later and I am still working on the tail end!......but realistically I think that I can get it all done next year!.....I do hope so as I really want to move on and build something else for a change!

Here is a photo of the all of the fuselage to date with my expert markings (not!!)....showing you that I am nearly at the tail end!

spray-and-markings-on-tail-unit-8-1.jpg

So this final post of this year is all about the elevator and rudder actuators......wasn't an easy task as I only had a few photos to go by kindly donated by Ol'scrapiron....but I got there in the end and this is how it all turned out.

To start with,  this is the elevator mechanism.The tube/bar was made from an old plastic sprue and the rest from cut pieces of plastic.....

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(3).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(2).jpg

You can see a few cables attached that operate the mechanism.

The next few photos show it all painted.......

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(2).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(3).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(4).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(5).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(6).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(7).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(8).jpg

Now I turned my attention to the rudder actuator.....which was difficult as I only had shots of a very small part of it. Not to worry as when in place under the rudder you can hardly see it!....so I was lucky!!

Here it is ........

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(1).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(2).jpg

The platform was then constructed out of plastic and the mechanism dry fitted in place.....

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(3).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(4).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(5).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(6).jpg

Finally I painted the rudder actuator before placing on the frame..

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED__BEFORE_ASSEMBLY

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED__BEFORE_ASSEMBLY

and then painted the frame and placed the actuator in position........

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(1).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(2).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(3).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(5).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(6).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED(4).jpg

Photographing this area isn't very fulfilling as you can't get the camera in the right position to take the shot ......but hopefully you can see the progress that I've made! 

So when I return from my break in UK I will bash on with the "Cheyenne" tail turret!

I do hope you all have a wonderful Xmas even under all the restrictions we all have this year due to Covid....and I wish you all a much better New Year than this last one!

All the best ...see you on here next February!

Cheers

Fozzy 

Well Fozzy, the photography may not be fulfilling for you but for us ... WOW ... your images really do say a THOUSAND words!

I hope you'll have as Merry a Christmas as possible and I look forward to seeing the finished model in 2021 ... no wings eh? ... oh well, I'll still be watching!  :popcorn:

Thanx

Pete

20 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Well Fozzy, the photography may not be fulfilling for you but for us ... WOW ... your images really do say a THOUSAND words!

I hope you'll have as Merry a Christmas as possible and I look forward to seeing the finished model in 2021 ... no wings eh? ... oh well, I'll still be watching!  :popcorn:

Thanx

Pete

Cheers Pete!....yep no wings!......Merry Xmas mate!

12 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Stupendous work, as usual.  You employ a nice combination want-it-right-but-will-accept-this style of construction. 

May you and yours have a wonderful holiday season.

Thanks a lot!......Have a good Xmas and New year!

• 1 month later...

Hi every one

Well first and foremost I want to wish everyone a Happy belated New Year!.......although it is difficult in these times!

Due to this blasted Covid-19 I am in lock down in UK and won't be returning to Bulgaria and my workshop  for ....who knows how long!☹️.....at least I am with my family but miss battling on with my B17G!

I haven't any modelling equipment here......nothing at all... but am thinking that Amazon might help with that situation!......I'll spend a few quid,... get some sort of starter pack tools and get myself a little 1:72 kit to tie me over!.....haven't done that for years so I am looking forward to it!😊   

Meanwhile .....I haven't been idle ..... I decided to revamp my website and have got all my model photos in one place....so for those of you who want to take a look.........

https://mfostermodels.wixsite.com/martin-foster-models

So until I return to my work bench and my B17 ......I wish you all the best and please stay safe!

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

No worries Fozzy ... we're all-l-l in the same boat!

As they say "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" ... so when ever you get back to this, and we all can relax a bit and enjoy the show you put on, we'll be waiting on ya!  :thumbsup:

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I hope all are well!

Since I cannot travel back home due to Covid -19... I decided that because I am missing my workshop and my B17G that I would ask my wife for use of her lounge table to build some models...she kindly obliged!

So........I bought some basic tools as I have absolutely nothing here in UK ...paints/brushes/glue etc etc..... and I bought a 1:72 scale F86F Sabre. Since I have been scratch building for years I was kind of out of practice with kits especially when it comes to painting with a hairy brush! but thoroughly enjoyed building this kit from Hobbyboss nevertheless!

20210204-145407.jpg

As this is the wrong place to post this I have posted in RFI if you want a peek!

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/316513-172-f-86f-30-sabre/

Cheers 

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • 2 months later...

Good afternoon guys!

I do hope that you are all keeping well and safe since the last time I posted.

I just can't believe its been 5 months since I last posted on here!......and 5 months away from my B17G!

I went to UK at the beginning of last December for Xmas and was due to return to Bulgaria mid February but of course Covid put an end to that plan! So as we were all in lock down I decided to wait in UK to have both my vaccinations and I am pleased to say that I have now had both! Whilst I was there I decided to get a few modelling supplies to tie me over and I made a couple of small models.

But now it's time to get on with this B17G..........so where were we?...oh yes!.... working on the tail section.

spray_and_markings_on_tail_unit_(9).jpg

I completed the detail in the tail section right up to the Cheyenne rear turret ...so I guess it's time to have a crack at that!

First things first.....I made the support post and platform for the MGs...as you can see in this photo....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET.jpg

A plate made from plastic card was then built which will eventually sit in position above the guns....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(1).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(2).jpg

I then painted the gun support.....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(3).jpg

I decided that the best way to get the detail done in this Cheyenne turret was to get the 50 cals completed and placed on the support and then build all the other detail around them.

So .... because I have still got to do another two MGs for the waist guns later , I decided to build those along with the two that will go in the tail.....I cut some plastic pieces into blocks that will be the basic MG minus the barrels!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(4).jpg

....and with the use of photos added the detail onto the blocks......

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(5).jpg

Plastic sprue came in handy now for the barrels.....luckily I had just the right size!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(6).jpg

Pieces were cut to length and the barrel shroud was simulated by drilling holes along the length of the barrel.....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(7).jpg

I placed flash suppressors, made from wire insulators onto the end of the barrels and then glued them onto the MGs ...and then painted them in Gun metal....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(8).jpg

At this point I decided to place some detail onto the front end of the turret....I had done it months before but the detail somehow fell off!.....this time super glue was used!!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(9).jpg

Adapter- gun mounts were made from plastic and wire and attached to the MGs.....fiddly as hell!!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(10).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(11).jpg

That was then all painted.

The next 5 photos show the MGs all finished....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(12).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(13).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(14).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(15).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(16).jpg

In the next post I will install the MGs onto the support frame but first I have to think about it as I somehow have to get the ammunition link to the guns!

It certainly is great to be back at the bench and tackling this monster of a build!.....So far it's taken me nearly 10 years to get this far....time flies when you're having fun!!

Until the next post....take care and thanks for looking in!

Fozzy

You, spaceman with his stunning space shuttle project, and Andrew D. The Jolly Roger Guy and his series of Dukes of Hazard vehicles keep me coming back to ARC.  Y'all are such a joy to watch, doing the scratch-building I wish I had the patience to do.