THE FINAL HURDLE!... 1:20 scale scratch built B17G

Hi guys!

Time for another up date!...still battling on with the Cheyenne turret and this post is all about Ammo boxes ,rounds and seats!

So this first photo is of the two ammunition boxes I made from plastic card. I should point out at this stage that when I mounted them onto the Turret side walls I realized that they were far too long and had to cut them down to size!...1 step forward 2 steps back!.....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT.jpg

So here they are attached to the side walls....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(1).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(2).jpg

It was time to put some music on and settle down for the afternoon to make the ammunition belts!....Of course I have done this for all the other guns on this project so far and knew it would be a rather a laborious task!

The belts are paper (so they can be flexible when placing them on the guns etc) and the rounds are hundreds of 4mm cut lengths of wire.

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(3).jpg

....more paper detail and by the end of the afternoon I had finished!

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(4).jpg

Time to put some paint on them!....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(5).jpg

I then placed them onto the ammunition boxes....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(6).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(7).jpg

I then turned my attention to the outside of the turret.

Most of the combat B17G Cheyenne turrets had the apertures where the barrels go through open...but the Warbirds have them closed off with zipped canvas as on "Fuddy Duddy" ....so this was replicated with the use of thin plastic.

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(8).jpg

Both the 50 cals were then glued to the internal frame minus the barrels which I will place on when the turret is complete....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(9).jpg

....and the top plate was then glued into position over the guns.....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(10).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(11).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(12).jpg

It was at this stage that I shortened the ammo boxes....what a drag!....my own fault ...I should have studied the reference photos more carefully!

It was now time to have a go at the old bicycle seat that the gunner sits on for hours on end!...I shaped a small block of balsa wood and covered it with thin plastic card and I also made the knee pads to go on either side of the seat.....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(13).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(14).jpg

....and painted....

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(15).jpg

Looks bloody uncomfortable to say the least!

With the gunners seat in place ...the last 6 photos are what the turret looks like so far!

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(16).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(17).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(18).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(19).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(20).jpg

AMMO_BOXES_ROUNDS_AND_SEAT_(21).jpg

See you on the next post..

Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers

Fozzy

Yo ... Fawz-zee-e-e!

I've missed your posts and am glad I saw these updates. such an out-STAND-ing build!  :thumbsup:

It was at this stage that I shortened the ammo boxes....what a drag!....my own fault ...I should have studied the reference photos more carefully!

Whaddaya mean your fault? When you build something from scratch, you-u-u-u know, you can study those reference photos all you want, but to build it, geez, just make it fit!

Trial and error ... and your results are ... just ... SUPERB!

The guns you built, the ammo boxes, all those various details ... man, such eye-candy!

Thanx Fozzy!

Pete

56 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

Yo ... Fawz-zee-e-e!

I've missed your posts and am glad I saw these updates. such an out-STAND-ing build!  :thumbsup:

Whaddaya mean your fault? When you build something from scratch, you-u-u-u know, you can study those reference photos all you want, but to build it, geez, just make it fit!

Trial and error ... and your results are ... just ... SUPERB!

The guns you built, the ammo boxes, all those various details ... man, such eye-candy!

Thanx Fozzy!

Pete

Hey Pete!...thanks for the kind words mate!...I defo got the ammo boxes to fit in the end!!😆

Hi there every one

Here is the next post on this 10 year post!.......nearly there now...he says!

This post is all about adding more detail to the Cheyenne turret......so here we go.......

These first 4 photos show pieces of wire I have added in and around the turret which is supposed to represent air ducts for de misting purposes....well at least that is what I am led to believe!...and I can't believe it took me all afternoon just to cut the wire into correct lengths and super glue them on...the glue just wouldn't set for some reason...mind you it is Bulgarian super glue!

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL.jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(1).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(2).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(3).jpg

Once the glue was set I then painted them....the second photo shows the excess wire sticking up that will eventually be set against the frame of the perspex enclosure....

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(4).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(5).jpg

Next up was to scratch all the equipment that will go in the turret.

I love doing this sort of thing!......

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(6).jpg

If someone can enlighten me on why the turret had 2 oxygen regulators I would be very pleased!...no end of research will tell me this reason!....oxygen outlets on either side of the gunner?....who knows!....I bet it's obvious and I just can't see it!

Any how...the next 6 photos show all the equipment placed into the turret. .....the gunner really didn't have a lot of room in there!

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(7).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(8).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(9).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(10).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(11).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(12).jpg

So I then replicated a portable oxygen bottle out of Milliput and plastic...made a little bracket for it and placed it in the turret for the gunner to bang his head on!😉

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(13).jpg

MORE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_DETAIL_(14).jpg

So that's it for this post.

Next up will be trying to make the sight and then placing the "canopy" on the top of it all!....which will then free me up to do the last bit of detailing which is the waist gun positions....and then..........well lets not get ahead of ourselves Fozzy!

Until the next time ...

Thanks for looking in

Fozzy

Hi there..........Speeding along now!

Here is the last of the internal detail of the Cheyenne Turret ...which involved making the gun sight....

So stage 1 was to make the sight platform.......

LAST_OF_THE_INTERNAL_DETAIL_OF_THE_CHEYE

Next up was the bullet proof glass shield .....I have to say I still wouldn't want to sit behind that!.....

It was then attached to the frame work ......

Now came the real tricky bit!

The N-8a Reflector gun sight is only 6 inches long in real life which relates to approx 8mm x 6mm in my B17.......so...teeny weeny!

I have to say a few swear words were echoing from my office as I tried several attempts at getting it looking OK ish!

I then painted the safety glass frame and added a pulley and cables......

The gun sight was then painted......

This was then seated onto the frame and photographed.

I have to say that it's not exactly what it should look like but its a rough version of this real one!!

dsc52576.jpg

Here's my attempt at the gun sight.......

As I was photographing I took these shots from below looking up into the turret as if I was the gunner!.....I thought it might show the cramped conditions the gunner would have to endure for 12 hours in freezing conditions ....I must be going mad!😝

OK.....so next on the agenda for the next post is placing the canopy frame on top of the turret!

Until then happy modelling guys!

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Here then is the Cheyenne turret finished to the best of my abilities!

The canopy for the turret wasn't as simple as I thought it might have been! A few months back I had made the canopy to fit over the turret detail but when I looked at it more closely I noticed that the small window apertures behind the main front perspex were way to small!....and so started the re designing of the frame....after a few attempts of dry fitting to the fuselage I think I cracked it!

So the first 2 photos we have the modified canopy frame............

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE.jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(1).jpg

To make the perspex (glass) I raided my box of used food packaging and found a nice little piece that once covered a shaving stick package!.....it wasn't too thick luckily as I had to bend a piece around the front!....I cut them to the correct shape and then super glued the front wrap around piece first.

DISASTER!.....when the glue set I noticed it warped the frame!...aaaggghh!.....the plastic was too thick after all and so I had to take it off and find some thinner plastic that would do the job!....this time the thinner plastic worked and I placed the remaining pieces on the frame.

I then glued the entire frame over the turret and on to the fuselage. When it was set I placed a few of the aluminum pieces on parts of the frames as you can see in these next photos.....

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(2).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(3).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(4).jpg

All I had to do now ...(which normally takes a couple of days)... place the rest of the Aluminum around the frame. Of course I have to do the entire rear fuselage section but I have to wait until the top and bottom halves are on!

This now completes the Cheyenne turret at long last!

This is what she looks like at the blunt end of the fuselage!!! 

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(5).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(6).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(7).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(8).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(9).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(10).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(11).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(12).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(13).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(14).jpg

I think my next task is to do the elevator connection detail....so that will be my next post!

I can now definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel ...after 10 long years!...you must all be sick of the the sight of it!! ...I know I'm beginning to!.. ha ha!

Thanks once again for looking in...

Cheers

Fozzy

I agree, I shall be both happy and sad.

I look forward to examples like yours, where the builder has to use, not some pre-made aftermarket item ... instead, he has to use a little ingenuity to solve the problem at hand. And this build Fozzy, is ex-act-ly what I enjoy watching.

Many Thanx for your photos, and for your persistence!

Now, don't be surprised if, or when, you complete this build, then deliver it and then ... have withdrawal pains. You may just regret not building wings!  🤪

I guarantee that you'll look back on this build, most fondly!

Oh yeah ... this DOES look pretty @#$%& good!  :thumbsup:

Pete

On 6/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, K2Pete said:

I agree, I shall be both happy and sad.

I look forward to examples like yours, where the builder has to use, not some pre-made aftermarket item ... instead, he has to use a little ingenuity to solve the problem at hand. And this build Fozzy, is ex-act-ly what I enjoy watching.

Many Thanx for your photos, and for your persistence!

Now, don't be surprised if, or when, you complete this build, then deliver it and then ... have withdrawal pains. You may just regret not building wings!  🤪

I guarantee that you'll look back on this build, most fondly!

Oh yeah ... this DOES look pretty @#$%& good!  :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks Pete for your great comments!.....

I am fond of this B17 as I have lived with building it for such a long time but I am also looking forward greatly to a new project!....and I wont regret building the wings!....too much like hard work!🙄

.........And another bit done!

I have to say I am flagging a bit!...finding it difficult to continue with this project. I guess I have been slogging at it for years now and really can't wait until it's all done! I am trying to get it complete before October comes as I am off to the UK and would like to try and take it with me on that trip....I don't know...we shall see!.....talking to myself here!🙄

OK ...so I managed to get the tail plane connection area complete...difficult shapes as the fuselage is round of course!....but I also added a bit of detailing as you can see in this first photo......

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(3).jpg

So I made the simple cartridge shoot for the Cheyenne turret and cut a slice of Coca Cola can for where the barrels go into the turret.

Now onto the tail plane connection.

This was all scratch built with plastic card. If the tail plane was off the fuselage this is what it would look like. The protruding sort of 4 bars you see would be connected to the horizontal stabilizer and in the D shape there was a cog that operated the elevators...........

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT.jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(2).jpg

After it all was painted and weathered a tad this is the end result!....I made little canvas bags out of tissue paper to go over the D shape....this was to protect dust and dirt from entering the fuselage ...and saved me making connection cogs!😉

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(4).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(5).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(6).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(7).jpg

...and here is the tail section so far!.......

ert_003.jpg

ert_004.jpg

ert_005.jpg

ert-001.jpg

Right then.......the next part is actually the last internal detail that I will ever have to do on this project!....HOORAY!!!

But that's the next post...

Thanks for taking a look

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy

I completely understand the 'flagging a bit" ... I've been there, but on just an 18 month build. I can't figure out if it's NOT wanting to complete it because it's been on my mind for so long that there's a 'sentimental' attachment to it, or I can't WAIT to get this darn thing off my desk because I'm tired of looking at it.

Either way, when it is complete, Man the feeling of satisfaction is Euphoric and lasts quite some time. You'll be proud of the work, the slog, the frustration ... and ... you have to admit, it does look damn good!  :thumbsup:

Just a little bit more Fozzy ... !

Pete

4 hours ago, K2Pete said:

I completely understand the 'flagging a bit" ... I've been there, but on just an 18 month build. I can't figure out if it's NOT wanting to complete it because it's been on my mind for so long that there's a 'sentimental' attachment to it, or I can't WAIT to get this darn thing off my desk because I'm tired of looking at it.

Either way, when it is complete, Man the feeling of satisfaction is Euphoric and lasts quite some time. You'll be proud of the work, the slog, the frustration ... and ... you have to admit, it does look damn good!  :thumbsup:

Just a little bit more Fozzy ... !

Pete

Thanks Pete for your support....I think for me it's a case of that I must try and get it right for the Museum she is bound....kind of puts a lot of pressure on you....plus the logistical nightmare of transportation from here in Bulgaria to the States with a stop over in UK!....add all this up and the fact that I am scratch building my 10th MG for this build and.......

My own doing!....but you're right.....I will be proud when it's all over and I can hand it over to the museum for them to look after!....cheers!

On 6/27/2021 at 4:49 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Stunning!  Amazing! A gob-stopper!

Did you mention the museum to which she'll be going?  I hope to see it on display.

Hi there....Thanks mate.....

It will be going into The Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad ,California, USA......here is a link.....

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com

Swing by if you're in the neighborhood and have a look!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all!

I have been busy in the last week or so trying to get this project moving on to completion...even though I have had a few distractions like mowing oceans of grass in my garden and keeping the Tax man off me!

However I did manage to start on what will be the very last of the interior detail of this fuselage.....and that is the waist gunners positions.

I haven't done a lot but every little helps to get me closer to the end!...as I believe Mr Tesco's would say!...although it has got absolutely nothing to do with him!

I started by cutting all the pieces of wire to represent the rounds that will go into the ammunition boxes (you can see the top layer in the box if you're wondering why I would do that!😉)

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT.jpg

The boxes were made out of plastic card and the rounds were placed in the top.....

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(1).jpg

After painting them this is what they look like....

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(2).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(3).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(4).jpg

After looking at a few hundred photos I checked to see what equipment was needed for both gunners . ...oxygen bottles....oxygen regulators and their indicators...flying suit heater units ...intercom boxes...bail out alarm bell  and a matchstick!!!😁

The bottles were made from Milliput...which I always find difficult to use for some reason!...the rest was made from plastic and wire.....just to let you know I didn't scratch build the matchstick!

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(5).jpg

The last 4 photos show the equipment in place....

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(6).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(7).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(8).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(9).jpg

That's all folks!

Next up will be plexiglass and guns!

Thanks for taking a peek

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Another few weeks have passed and time for another post!....done quite a bit so it will be a big post!

I have finished both waist guns except for the ammunition belt which I will have to think about as it won't be easy!

First off I had to make the swivel mechanism that holds the gun in the perspex....so this first photo shows the wooden stick I will use!....just thought you might like to see the stick!!!!

WAIST_GUNS.jpg

After sawing a piece off and drilling a hole and sanding....this is how it looked....

WAIST_GUNS_(1).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(2).jpg

Next photo shows the 2 plates that the swivel mechanisms are bolted to...

WAIST_GUNS_(3).jpg

here we have it glued to one of the window frames....

WAIST_GUNS_(4).jpg

The next photo shows a dry run of the fitting of the MG....and looking at it I must remember to take the sight post off the end of the barrel as that's for the MGs without the compensating sights on!

WAIST_GUNS_(5).jpg

I rummaged through my collection of clear plastic packaging and found a suitable piece to make the perspex for both windows apertures.

WAIST_GUNS_(6).jpg

I already half built the guns a few weeks back and now it was time to finish them off....

WAIST_GUNS_(7).jpg

....and here they are completed ....

WAIST_GUNS_(8).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(9).jpg

I had to do a little research on the K-13 Sperry Compensating sights that I wanted to add to these guns....so after searching the internet and gathering the photos together I started out on the sights...

WAIST_GUNS_(10).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(11).jpg

The sights took me a week to make as they are tiny and quite complicated but got there in the end....here are both the guns with the sights attached and all painted and ready to fit into the fuselage......

WAIST_GUNS_(12).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(13).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(14).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(15).jpg

I glued both guns onto their mounts through the perspex and added a little more detail ..like the control cables (that I haven't a clue what they actually operate.....something to do with.... adjusting ...something!!) ....

Any how here they are in the fuselage......

WAIST_GUNS_(16).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(17).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(18).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(19).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(20).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(21).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(22).jpg

Going to have to rack my brains now for a solution on how to make the ammunition belts bend and twist from the ammo boxes to the guns.....so see you next year!

All the best and thanks for looking in!

Fozzy

On 7/28/2021 at 1:24 AM, Slartibartfast said:

I didn't know those guns had compensating sights!

Yes...pretty advanced stuff but they were defiantly used both on B17s and B24s!

On 7/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, SERNAK said:

The level of detailing in this build is remarkable!!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks!🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there to all!

OMG!😮

I really can see the finishing post now!...In this last week I have been at this B17  every day trying to move it along!

Of course here in Bulgaria we are experiencing dangerous weather warnings of extreme high temperatures....like most of Europe I guess...most days 42C plus /107F...and so I had to vacate my workshop as it was far too hot in there and move into the bedroom as I have aircon there!...So I had to find an old table and take some tools from my workshop to the house (workshop is in another building from the house) and get on with the job at hand!

The end result being that I have completely finished all the internal detail , joined the top and bottom halves together and managed to skin the entire rear section!....so all in all I am really pleased!

Last post had me fitting the waist guns into the perspex windows but the very last detail after 10 years is to make the ammunition belts that feed the guns....so here are a few photos...

The ammo belts have to be able to twist and turn from the ammo boxes to the guns so I had to scrap the belt I had previously made as they wouldn't bend without snapping in half!.....so I decided to use slivers of aluminum from a Coca Cola can to make up the shape I needed to go from the ammo boxes to the guns!....you follow me?...probably not!....so here is a photo!......

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING.jpg

In this way I have it bent to shape before I super glue all the hundreds of rounds...(cut pieces of wire...took all afternoon!!)

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(1).jpg

This next photo shows some of the rounds on the belt.

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(2).jpg

All I had to do then was enclose the rounds in the belts using strips of paper which when painted will hopefully look the part!

Here you see I have attached the belts to the ammo boxes and to the guns.....starting with the starboard MG

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(3).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(4).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(5).jpg

Here is the port MG

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(6).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(7).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(8).jpg

....and a couple of shots looking at both Waist guns from the rear....

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(9).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(10).jpg

Now came the part that I had been dreading for months and months and that was gluing the top and bottom halves together!

It had to be a strong setting glue that would be permanent and since the fuselage is constructed out of balsa wood I thought wood glue was the way to go....nope!...it's no good.....it will have to be super glue!....but I had to work fast and be accurate as if it didn't line up it would be impossible to take it apart without destroying the fuselage!.....so working from the rear to the front I super glued a few inches at a time....remembering to make sure all the internal detail was in line from the top to the bottom!

Finally after a few  nerve racking minutes it was complete!....all lined up and secure!...

That for me was a huge worrying part of this build.....it was as well  for the front section ,Bomb bay ,radio room!...still all done now!

Skinning!.......I kind of enjoy it!....very slow process but if I can get it right then worth the effort!

First of all I had to mark the entire fuselage  with a marker of where all the rivet lines go....that took a day!....and then all the separate panels had to be cut out of a sticky back aluminum sheet used on real aircraft kindly donated by my good modelling friend Finn and marked up for rivets and then placed onto the fuselage.....here are a couple of photos I took during the process...

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(11).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(12).jpg

So here we have in the next batch of photos the fuselage all skinned.

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(13).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(14).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(15).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(16).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(17).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(18).jpg

AMMO_BELTS_AND_SKINNING_(19).jpg

To finish off the rear section , all I have to do now is spray some markings including the USAF insignias.....and that will be that!

Of course  I say that will be that but then its buckle down to the display ideas I'm thinking of...which will involve more scratch building!

So until then....I will see you all on the next post  when she's all marked up and sprayed!

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy