Feeling Blue, Super Hornet Blue

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

They need to redesign the US NAVY. It's way too big and has a weird twist to it because of the lines of the intake. 

It's one of those dammed if you do, damned if you don't things. If you looked straight from the side it would look fine. If you modified the font to look good from an angle, it would look weird straight on. With the twists and curves on the intake, you can only make a word look "right" from one angle and will look wonky from any other. 

I am excited to see what their show will be like with these as I heard they have to modify some of the show to fit the abilities of the super hornet.

Sean

6 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

It's one of those dammed if you do, damned if you don't things. If you looked straight from the side it would look fine. If you modified the font to look good from an angle, it would look weird straight on. With the twists and curves on the intake, you can only make a word look "right" from one angle and will look wonky from any other. 

I am excited to see what their show will be like with these as I heard they have to modify some of the show to fit the abilities of the super hornet.

Sean

I think if they made it smaller it would work better. I'm like you. I can't wait to see what the show is like. To me the best show is still the A-4's. The maneuverability and roll rate was eye-watering! 

13 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

They need to redesign the US NAVY. It's way too big and has a weird twist to it because of the lines of the intake. 

My thoughts exactly. It really takes away from the beauty of the jet.

I don’t know if it’s these shots or not.  According to Aviation Week, the “close ups” pics in the early “first looks” articles were taken illegally by a contractor. Perhaps illegal isn’t quite the right word, but some office at the DOD or navy has been requesting they’re removed from websites. 

12 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I don’t know if it’s these shots or not.  According to Aviation Week, the “close ups” pics in the early “first looks” articles were taken illegally by a contractor. Perhaps illegal isn’t quite the right word, but some office at the DOD or navy has been requesting they’re removed from websites. 

Ha! Don't they realize once it hits the internet, that's all she wrote? There's no way they're going to get all the images pulled. 

2 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Ha! Don't they realize once it hits the internet, that's all she wrote? There's no way they're going to get all the images pulled. 

Very true. And I’m under the impression they are more going after the formal news organizations (friendly from what I’ve heard...they didn’t know any better) and just letting social media and the like slide. 

Interesting note... They removed the seat because they will be flown remotely from now on to comply with social distancing. When the CDC heard they only fly 18 inches apart, it was all over.

I know they would never do this because of tradition, but what if they put the BA crest on the tails, moved US NAVY back to the standard location, and brought the number up to the nose, like fleet squadrons. I wonder how that would look?

Edited by Darren Roberts
37 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I know they would never do this because of tradition, but what if they put the BA crest on the tails, moved US NAVY back to the standard location, and brought the number up to the nose, like fleet squadrons. I wonder how that would look?

I like the sound of that...and truth be told, swapping out numbers (which these days as I understand it, are vinyl stickers) would be a bit easier to do.

I have some left over crests in 1/72 scale from  "Fat Albert" sheet...may try a "WhIffer" with a cheap Revell "E" model!

I know change comes hard to these teams but after 34 years in the same scheme/look something new would be welcome with a new platform. 

2 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

I know change comes hard to these teams but after 34 years in the same scheme/look something new would be welcome with a new platform. 

I wonder how it would look with a variation of the scheme worn by E-4 (the spin test bird)?  Put blue where the white was and yellow where the orange was maybe?  Someone with better graphics skilz want to take  a crack at it?

I was hoping to see something new to the paint scheme too. but as it's been said its tradition. But its not like they haven't changed their paint schemes before (Panther to Cougar). Fat Albert is going to have a new look, why not the rest of the team?.... I have a crazy idea, get a T-6 and bring back Beetle Bomb!

17 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Very true. And I’m under the impression they are more going after the formal news organizations (friendly from what I’ve heard...they didn’t know any better) and just letting social media and the like slide. 

I gotta believe that the Navy has much more pressing things to worry about aside from chasing down who leaked these pictures, which in reality, 99.9% of Americans (myself included) could probably care less about.

Edited by 11bee
3 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

I like the sound of that...and truth be told, swapping out numbers (which these days as I understand it, are vinyl stickers) would be a bit easier to do.

I have some left over crests in 1/72 scale from  "Fat Albert" sheet...may try a "WhIffer" with a cheap Revell "E" model!

Do it! I'd love to see if it looks the same as it does in my brain. 😄

13 hours ago, Vince Maddux said:

No one has made new update decals for it yet!

Job op!

2 hours ago, Vince Maddux said:

I was hoping to see something new to the paint scheme too. but as it's been said its tradition. But its not like they haven't changed their paint schemes before (Panther to Cougar). Fat Albert is going to have a new look, why not the rest of the team?.... I have a crazy idea, get a T-6 and bring back Beetle Bomb!

Have you seen the F/A-18B/D "Beetle Bomb" decals from "Fightertown"? I guess they floated the idea to the 'Blues for something to do for the final season with the "legacy" Hornets but the team was not on board. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Job op!

Have you seen the F/A-18B/D "Beetle Bomb" decals from "Fightertown"? I guess they floated the idea to the 'Blues for something to do for the final season with the "legacy" Hornets but the team was not on board. 🤷‍♂️

NIH syndrome coming into play?