Why decals wrinkles do not go away?

Hello all,

I was applying the decals with the application of either Micro Sol or Solvaset (if needed)  on my current project A7. In some cases the decals get wrinkled ( as expected initially) BUT they remain wrinkled hours later. Repeated application does not improve the situation. Maybe old decals but the brand new Zotz decals have the same issue. I thought perhaps the Solvaset is too strong but the Micro Sol does the same thing! I am not talking about minor areas that can be pricked with a pin and reapplication of the solution ( I do NOT flood ). I am talking massive wrinkles that completely ruin the decals. I eagerly await your expert opinions. Thank YOU ! Dai 

PS: The new Zotz decals have really bad wrinkles after application of Solvaset. It is so thick that Micro Sol has minor effect. Some Super Scale decals reacts poorly with Micro Sol with massive unresolved wrinkle issue. I am using the old Eagle Strike decals for the A7 and no issues are noted with Micro Sol. 

Edited by dai phan

Did you wait overnight?  It can take that long for the solution to do its work and the decals to conform to surface details.  Re-apply if wrinkles remain and resist touching the decal until it has completely settled. The best product I've used so far is the DACO strong version (red label).

Edited by crackerjazz
4 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Did you wait overnight?  It can take that long for the solution to do its work and the decals to conform to surface details.  Re-apply if wrinkles remain and resist touching the decal until it has completely settled. The best product I've used so far is the DACO strong version (red label).

I waited 4 hours and it could be premature but there is no way I can see the wrinkles working themselves out. Could I be too impatience? Dai 

Edited by dai phan

4 hours isn't enough -- and you have to look away for it to work  lol.  I know it's hard not to check every now and then but that's the secret -- just like waiting for oil paint to dry.   Leave it alone and do something else.  Just let it do it's thing and you'll be greatly rewarded.   One trick is to apply the decal solution before going to bed so you don't bother it until you wake up 8 hours later : )

Leave it overnight or sometimes I do some decals in the morning and apply setting solution.  By the time I get home the decals that initially wrinkle dry and smooth back out. You need about 8-12 hours IMO. Sucks waiting, we all hate walking away from decals in that state. 

Cheers

Collin

Hello all 

I have been modeling since 1980 till 1997 then took a long break then return again in 2015. Until a month ago I never had to use any kind of decal solution. It is a learning curve that I have to go through at this stage. Dai 

By the way one thing I noticed lately is that the decals I'm applying the Draco (strong) solution to don't wrinkle at all but they've all settled nicely onto the instrument panel (Eduard Brassin F-14 cockpit) despite the deep spaces in between the bezels.  I highly recommend this product.

I have, from time to time, had a decal that formed a wrinkle that would not go away. If after trying all other decal solutions it was still there, I would take a brand new scalpel blade and VERY carefully slice along the length of the wrinkle. I would then apply the decal setting solution that worked best and apply it to the decals. after the decal softened, I would VERY carefully use a damp cloth and gently press down on the wrinkle. The scalpel slice allowed the wrinkle to be pressed flush with the surface. Kind of like poking bubbles in decals and applying setting solution to get them to settle down. The key is to use a VERY sharp, new scalpel blade so that you don't tear the decal. That's a scalpel blade, not an Exacto knife blade. Scalpel blades are much sharper.

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

I have, from time to time, had a decal that formed a wrinkle that would not go away. If after trying all other decal solutions it was still there, I would take a brand new scalpel blade and VERY carefully slice along the length of the wrinkle. I would then apply the decal setting solution that worked best and apply it to the decals. after the decal softened, I would VERY carefully use a damp cloth and gently press down on the wrinkle. The scalpel slice allowed the wrinkle to be pressed flush with the surface. Kind of like poking bubbles in decals and applying setting solution to get them to settle down. The key is to use a VERY sharp, new scalpel blade so that you don't tear the decal. That's a scalpel blade, not an Exacto knife blade. Scalpel blades are much sharper.

I did tried this but the amount is so massive that I gave up. I have done with few minor areas. I am a DDS so sharp surgical blades are always available. Dai 

33 minutes ago, dai phan said:

I did tried this but the amount is so massive that I gave up. I have done with few minor areas. I am a DDS so sharp surgical blades are always available. Dai 

I understand. I usually would have only one or two wrinkles that wouldn't go away. I can't imagine trying this if you had many more. Oh well, back to the drawing board. :dontknow:

On 5/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, crackerjazz said:

By the way one thing I noticed lately is that the decals I'm applying the Draco (strong) solution to don't wrinkle at all but they've all settled nicely onto the instrument panel (Eduard Brassin F-14 cockpit) despite the deep spaces in between the bezels.  I highly recommend this product.

Okay I have to ask...AS my friend Google is not providing me the answers i seek.

Mr Mark Fit - Tamiya , have some

Microsol (red/blue), have some

Walthers Solvaset, have some

Mr Mark Setter - Gunze, have some

Mr Mark Softer - Gunze, have some

Mig Setter - have not tried

Mig Softer - have not tried

Model Master - I'm all out

VMS - not tried

AV - have not tried

Humbrol - have not tried

Revell - Have not tried

Scale MOTORSPORTS - Have not tried

SOMEONE please tell me more of the DRACO product you speak of...

Cheers

AFM

Edited by AlienFrogModeller