RAF Spitfire Varnish Choice

Hi, 

I am new to the scale modeling. Currently I am working on three different projects (2 1/72 Eduard RAF Spitfires and a 1/48 Kinetic HAF F 16). I am pretty familiar with modern jets (camo and variants), but I have almost no idea on WWII airplanes. So, as the theme says, I would like to ask what finish did the RAF Spitfires have MATT or Gloss? I am building two Mk XVIs one with PRU scheme and one on standard day fighter scheme. 

In the picture you can find the actual PRU aircraft. 

unnamed.jpg

Wow, you are AMBITIOUS to be working 3 models simultaneously and just beginning the hobby!

I expect you will get several differing answers, but mine splits the difference between the 2; I would recommend a satin or semi-gloss finish.  I expect it also depends on how long the planes you are modeling were 'in service', thus, less gloss the older it is, (wear and tear and all that).  There are a LOT of folks here on this forum who know a GREAT DEAL MORE than me, though, and I'd go with the advice you get from others who I'm sure will chime in here soon.

10 hours ago, Curt B said:

Wow, you are AMBITIOUS to be working 3 models simultaneously and just beginning the hobby!

I expect you will get several differing answers, but mine splits the difference between the 2; I would recommend a satin or semi-gloss finish.  I expect it also depends on how long the planes you are modeling were 'in service', thus, less gloss the older it is, (wear and tear and all that).  There are a LOT of folks here on this forum who know a GREAT DEAL MORE than me, though, and I'd go with the advice you get from others who I'm sure will chime in here soon.

Thank you very much, I am trying to be ambitious in everything I do!! I will propably go for a satin finish on the day fighter and a glossier one in pru. As you can see I am trying to paint the airplanes with different wear grades. The day fighter was in service for more time.

49869667807_cac2c3dd8e_k_d.jpg

49869359711_000bdc84ad_k_d.jpg

49869359686_2f767f109c_k_d.jpg