SUU-23/A gun pod on F-4Cs

I have a question or two on the SUU-23 gun pod on use with ANG F-4Cs:

Were these ever in use with ANG units, and if yes, what additional weapons except external fuel tanks would be carried?

If they were used, were they just carried on the center pylon or could they be carried in pairs (one under each wing)?

I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember seeing these being carried in pairs, however, don't remember if those were

-Cs or -Ds. Any help is greatly appreciated, I've started a Tamiya F-4C which I plan to do in either Michigan or Oregon ANG

markings. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Lothar

Discussion here on F-4C/D carrying multiple gun pods.    Apparently it could only carry three.   The two outer pylons weren't powered enough to run them I guess. The above pic was just for an airshow.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/cyefyx/if_people_are_worried_about_the_f4c_with_3/

Edited by Drifterdon
1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

Discussion here on F-4C/D carrying multiple gun pods.    Apparently it could only carry three.   The two outer pylons weren't powered enough to run them I guess. The above pic was just for an airshow.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/cyefyx/if_people_are_worried_about_the_f4c_with_3/

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Lothar

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Cool pic Finn (Y) 

The F-4 Phantom could carry the gun pod and fire from all stations. There are photos out there of 178FW 119FS F-4D's carrying SUU-23's with short end on the inner pylons just as much as centerline. There are also photos of F-4C/D's loaded with 5 gun pods in total. But the photo above is the first I've seen of an D airborne with the SUU-23 on the outer pylons. 

Cool non the less 😄 

I don’t think F-4Cs had power to the outboard pylons, at least early on, since during operation Bolo they used the RAT powered version of the QRC-160 (ALQ-71) pod.  Maybe they got power later on.  In any case, they could have used the SUU-16 pod which had a RAT.  You only needed aircraft power for the later SUU-23.

• 1 month later...