Best high gloss varnish for Alclad

Hi all,

Apologies for posting this here but cannot find a forum suitable for my question so any advice on re-direction is welcome.

I'm finishing the Kitty Hawk RF-101C which is actually a wonderful kit if you take it slow. I'll be finishing it in the Sun Run option in as highly a polished bare metal finish as I can manage - authentic or not. I'll be using Alclad Polished Aluminium and Aircraft Aluminium mostly for that.

Question is Alclad is pretty rugged but I would prefer a high gloss varnish to offer some protection. Any suggestions as to the best varnish to use that would retain the Alclad shine as much as possible?

Thanks all,

2 hours ago, Captain Mark said:

In my experience I've not been able to keep the full shine or chrome look of any Alclad paint if I've cleared over it, however if I had to use something I would agree with Ed and go with ALC-600 Aqua Gloss Clear.

Seems like good advice from both Mr. Ed and Captain Mark. For compatibility's sake,

its always a good idea keeping the process with the same brand. You might also try

Future as a Gloss Coat. But, whichever product you choose I think its prudent to first

try it on a test piece, and check the results. I'm sure its always a "bummer," getting to

this part of the project - only to mess-up the model with the wrong type of Top-coat.