Hobby Boss 1/48 A-7A Corsair II

Hey ARC,

Here's an A-7A I built for the Vietnam War Aircraft GB over on FSM. I was originally going to build a Corsair as it would have looked when deployed, but decided to do a test squadron SLUFF with this loadout. I liked the way the green sash looked on the VX-5's tail, so I used a little artistic license on my build.

I've read a few reviews that bashed this boxing saying HB screwed up and made the Corsair look a little too much like the Crusader. Well, I can see that, but I'm more from the if-it-looks-like-a-(insert aircraft here)-then-it's-a-(insert aircraft here) school. So, I can tell it's a Corsair, thus, it's a Corsair!

The kit itself was built OOB except for a small corrections made to the rudder, the ordnance, tail and squadron markings. The squadron markings are from my decal pile and the tail markings are painted on with homemade masks. The gaskets on the windscreen are painted decal strips after the masks pulled up the underlying paint. The kit went together very nicely and I only used two small pieces of styrene as filler around the intake. 

The kit is painted with Testors little square bottle and MM paints. Weathered with pastels and Flory washes. 

Let's get on to the pictures!

bchrl7W.jpg

DFdtApc.jpg

Xmy6LEl.jpg

Vir1Rur.jpg

kdslhJS.jpg

V6pznge.jpg

STndl7X.jpg

SThGifp.jpg

3bdk9w9.jpg

Bo0l0YE.jpg

CtXoPyj.jpg

icvisYM.jpg

oSG3tdE.jpg

Vypwn8r.jpg

mBd62yN.jpg

BIZCXip.jpg

LIVs6bd.jpg

YLQLysP.jpg

ZqUGv22.jpg

I'm happy to have this 3-footer on my shelf. Tell me what you think. Feel free to share your comments, criticisms, or questions. 

Thanks for looking! Happy modeling!

Cheers,

-O

O wrote:

I was originally going to build a Corsair as it would have looked when deployed, but decided to do a test squadron SLUFF with this loadout. I liked the way the green sash looked on the VX-5's tail, so I used a little artistic license on my build.

Sir, very nice job on the build and yes it's indeed a Corsair II. Excellent paint application,

and I liked you going the Test Squadron route.

I have read the reviews too that said it was squashed looking, unbuildable so mine has languished in the stash. Seeing your pics, it doesn't look bad at all. I've got some really nice markings and no other option for an A, so I'll give her a go. 

If it turns out half as nice as yours, I'll be very happy! Good work. 

Thanks for the pats on the back, ARC. 

Hey longmc, yeah, if you really look at the forward part of the fuselage, you'll see the skinny nose and squashed intake. Again, only if you're really looking...or an A-7 expert. Otherwise, I think it looks OK built up. One other area you'll need to pay attention to is the rudder. On the kit it's too tall. HB modeled it extending all the way up to the fin cap. In reality, it only extends to the "kink" in the trailing edge. 

XQBLXeK.jpg

I fixed it by simply cutting off the extra bit and gluing it directly to the tail. After some filling, sanding, and rescribing, it looked fine.

fFvRqhO.jpg

Good luck with yours! I'm looking forward to seeing it. Again, thanks for looking everyone.

Cheers,

-O