Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk

OK ARC, 

Here's the second of a pair I built for the Viet Nam Aircraft GB on FSM. I like the look of the Scooter without the hump, and a loaded Scooter is even better! Over the years I've seen photos of Marine Skyhawks with impressive CAS loads. I've had the decals for VMA-121 sitting in my stash for a while. This was the perfect opportunity to use them on a Marine Skyhawk in Southeast Asia.

This was a loadout that almost wasn't! I had procured the necessary Mk. 82 Snakeyes to build my jet, only to learn that the airframe couldn't carry 12 Mk. 82s. The bombs in pictures I had been looking at were Mk. 81s. I didn't have Mk. 81s and buying some in resin would've cost more than what I paid for the kit. Luckily for me, Mr. Joe Hedgedus came to my rescue and generously donated a dozen Mk. 81s for my build. (Thanks Joe! This build couldn't have been done without you.) So, besides the bombs, decals, and a resin seat, everything else is OOB.

The kit is painted with Testors little square bottle and MM paints. Weathered with pastels and Flory washes. 

Here she is in all her heavy glory...

BbAKdyT.jpg

uFiz9XF.jpg

48Y50pI.jpg

ZWnQpXm.jpg

JvfV8Fs.jpg

4xPNXCH.jpg

cOSGK09.jpg

gP6ijag.jpg

LPCaFpR.jpg

HzHIWtd.jpg

en8zsE1.jpg

8ncmfhs.jpg

PcRXndt.jpg

bZZoNdf.jpg

NbbJqzn.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's a nice addition to my 3-foot collection. Comments, questions and criticisms welcome. 

Thanks for lookin'!

-O

You know, there REALLY is something about the Scooter. The sleek lines, as smooth as a silk stocking...........ahem.  Anyway, great work, she looks loaded for Grizzly! Great weathering job, too!  

O10 wrote:

The kit is painted with Testors little square bottle and MM paints. Weathered with pastels and Flory washes.

O10,

Great looking model and especially the finish. What did you use (product) to spray the

final "Flat Coat" on the Scooter?

First of all, thanks everyone for the compliments. Much appreciated. I'm glad you like my Skyhawk and thanks for looking.

3 hours ago, The Underdog said:

What did you use (product) to spray the final "Flat Coat" on the Scooter?

Second, to answer your question Underdog, I use Testors' Dullcote Lacquer. I thin it 1:1 with lacquer thinner, and it gives me a nice dead-dull finish. Let me know if have any other questions.

Cheers,

-O 

48 minutes ago, oortiz10 said:

First of all, thanks everyone for the compliments. Much appreciated. I'm glad you like my Skyhawk and thanks for looking.

Second, to answer your question Underdog, I use Testors' Dullcote Lacquer. I thin it 1:1 with lacquer thinner, and it gives me a nice dead-dull finish. Let me know if have any other questions.

Cheers,

-O 

Mr. O,

Thanks for your reply, and what I really like about the finish is just like you stated,

it provides a nice looking Dead-dull Finish. The only problem for modelers using

Acrylic and Enamel paints is that, the Lacquer Dullcote probably wouldn't be the

best Top-coat to apply on top of those types of paints.