Prismacolor Pencil Not Writing - Any Thoughts?

I'm trying to put some writing on a model with a Prismacolor white pencil and am not having much luck.  The "weathering pencils" from AK I think are basically the same thing.  Basically, no color gets deposited and it's a soft "edge".  The model is finished in Alclad Matte Clear.  I have a spare part where it seems to be working well, but that was finished with Testors Dullcote from a spray can.  I'm thinking it's related to the surface, but I've tried roughening it a little with some fine sand paper and it's not making any difference.  Any thoughts?

Prismacolor makes a few different types of colored pencils. Which type are you using? In any case, it is always difficult to get the color to transfer to glossy or very smooth surfaces. If you are using the Verithin pencils they will be especially difficult to use even on smooth matt surfaces. That said I would guess you are using the Soft Core Colored pencils which should be easier to transfer color, but again, need something to grab a hold to. Also, the "softness" of the colored leads seem to very a bit, some being a bit easier to work with. I have used the soft core versions to create streaks of grime on models and sometimes it was very hard to get the color to transfer.

All that said, for putting writing on a model, I don't think you will get the results you want with colored pencils. There are some paint markers that may have fine enough tips. You would have to do some research to find out what's out there. Something like this:

https://www.dickblick.com/items/19994-1023/

It would take practice and probably wouldn't be suitable for small scale (1/72) models, maybe not even 1/48 depending on what the writing is.

I'm not quite sure what version of Prismacolor I have. I think it's a wax based pencil.  However, I also have a watercolor pencil that is having similar results. 

I'm trying for chalk markings in 1/48, hence the reason for the pencil.  There's something about this area that is problematic.  I can get pretty decent results on other areas of the same model as I'm finding (washed those off with chalk).  I recoated with the Alclad Flat and am waiting for that to dry.  If that doesn't work, I might go for the toothpick and white paint. 

EDIT: It looks like I have Verithin.  However, I am having the same issues with an off brand water color pencil.  And I'm able to get these to write on a test subject.  I've come a long way in the smoothness of my finishes, so that may be it.  But frustrating that through all the testing it worked great...then on the real subject it fails. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

This must be what I get for not being an artsy guy.  Until just a few days ago, I had not idea about all these different pencil types.

I had a white water color pencil laying around that I got to work for this project by wetting the tip first.  The writing was a little thicker than I would have liked, but reasonable.  

For future projects I've ordered both white graphite and white pastel/chalk.