Why excellent model companies just don't make it ?

• My 2 bits on AM Mk I going under. Choice of subject matter didn't help. How many people really wanted a Yak 1 on skis, or a single seat Stromovik? The Avenger was good, but they got bogged down on detail on the B-25 series (scale Life magazine?). The car line went off topic IMO, they should have used the resources for main stream aircraft.
  •  
  • A P-40B/C would have been a home run, same with a complete line of F4F Wildcats.   
7 hours ago, IPMSUSA2 said:

Then there was a GT race car...I forget which one and I don't have the kit easily at hand.  Yes, I still have the kit, still in mint conditon and unbuilt.  That particular kit has the reputation for being impossible to build UNLESS you follow the instructions to the absolute letter be cause it is SO accurate.  Even then it would take a top level expert to finish the thing. 

Is that the '64 Corvette Grand Sport kit?  I also have that one, don't know if I'll ever get around to building it....

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Is that the '64 Corvette Grand Sport kit?  I also have that one, don't know if I'll ever get around to building it....

I believe so, though I can't be sure since they did more than one car kit.

was kind of surprised the business was still going at a nearby store that sells this stuff several months ago

apparently now its more of a specialized hobby with fewer but way more detailed/expensive kits being put out

that probably makes the market more ideal for small batch brands in theory, but i'm assuming its also brutally competitive

Edited by boxsoul

Well you're not going to make money selling to the people who use forums like this. Tamiya's big money earner is RC cars I am told, and for the last two years the biggest selling Airfix kit is the Easy Build Spitfire I that builds like a lego kit. Revell of Germany has also diversified into the non plastic kit market. I think if a company just wants to make model kits, it's going to be a rocky road.