1/144 KC-135Q 71 ARS, 2 WG 1993

Here's my subject, KC-135Q 59-1470 in the summer of 1993:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Boeing-KC-135Q-Stratotanker-717-148/2579627/L?qsp=eJwtjEEKwkAMRe%2BStS5K0UV3egFdeIGQfLS0OmMmYIfSuxsHd4/34K0k6eVY/FYzaKACNnnQjjIbPwsNK02on2QaTJPsu/7wjlyS%2BbmGUnacRJAd%2BvcXU9gvoUg73ePcBcCujak/htex5JnbA87jTNv2BU46LqA%3D

I find the transitional period from SAC/TAC/MAC to ACC/AMC fascinating, as many units were inactivated or changed aircraft/missions during the early to mid 1990s, which resulted in some very short-lived markings on much of the USAF heavy fleet.  Part of what drew me to this subject was the obvious overpaints of the previous SAC-era markings, plus the relatively unique fighter-style ACC markings on a tanker.

Minicraft kit OOB except for the antennas on the forward fuselage.  Decals are a mixture of Caracal 144004, the spares box, and custom decals printed by Speedway Decals for me.

IMG-1455r.jpg

IMG-1456r.jpg

IMG-1457r.jpg

IMG-1459r.jpg

IMG-1460r.jpg

IMG-1461r.jpg

IMG-1462r.jpg

IMG-1463r.jpg

Thanks for looking

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

Jonah, Beautiful build.  Yes, the early to mid 1990s was a fascinating time for USAF heavy metal. Love the Stratotanker.  You have done an excellent job capturing the look. What brand and color paints did you use for the Shamu scheme?

K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

Gator52 wrote:

I find the transitional period from SAC/TAC/MAC to ACC/AMC fascinating, as many units were inactivated or changed aircraft/missions during the early to mid 1990s, which resulted in some very short-lived markings on much of the USAF heavy fleet.  Part of what drew me to this subject was the obvious overpaints of the previous SAC-era markings, plus the relatively unique fighter-style ACC markings on a tanker.

Jonah,

Very impressive build and especially the paint application. "Heavy Tankers look better

when they're done right, and you did an exceptional job on this one!"