3 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I'm sure Floyd Werner will love that! He might even want to buy it!!! Lol

Tim

With a little extra work, you could put his ugly mug in the backseat. 😂

Great job on the Cobra build.

I agree Hajo, I saw a guy’s B-17 blowup when it hit a branch I believe at the end of the runway. They said be a couple hundred (5-8) marks in the engines. Not sure if that was one or four, this was the mid 80’s. He was not a happy camper. 

Edited by Tank

This thing is absolutely amazing.  Do the pilot's throw off the CG?  I love the turbine sound and the gun.  It is really gorgeous work.   Is this a kit or is it something you made?  I might make one but it wouldn't fly.  I'd be too scared to damage it.

Great work.

Floyd

35 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

This thing is absolutely amazing.  Do the pilot's throw off the CG?  I love the turbine sound and the gun.  It is really gorgeous work.   Is this a kit or is it something you made?  I might make one but it wouldn't fly.  I'd be too scared to damage it.

Great work.

Floyd

Floyd, very good question regarding the CG. In fact, my need to build a highly detailed cockpit and animations scuttled the original plan to locate the heavy lipo flight batteries in the ammo bay. It will be way too nose-heavy. I have since relocated it closer to the main shaft (see pic), it is now perfectly balanced with a 5 degree backward tilt while hovering. It is a kit you can buy at https://www.starwoodscalemodels.com/estore/products.php?8 , but very basic fiberglass components with no details at all, the builder has to figure out how to fit his mechanics inside and detail the rest. Below is picture of what comes in the kit. 

8_91_cobra001_500.jpg

Edited by Patrick Leong
2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I've been watching Patrick's build over on BM and to say impressed is a huge understatement. This is thing is a scale modeler's wet dream.

Zach,

Did you fly that Cobra in your signature? I notice it has the airborne laser tracking glass dome. I spent days figuring out how to make the glass dome until I came across plastic Christmas ornaments in the exact diameter! This may not be the best RC Cobra out there but I dare say it is the only one with the laser tracker. Everyone else just paint it body color.

The only one here that's flown a real Cobra is Floyd. The Cobra in my signature photo was part of my Dad's unit during his time in the Gulf War. He flew it on occasion but it was crewed but another pilot regularly. Floyd was kind enough to add it in his Cobra decal sheet some years ago.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:17 PM, Whiskey said:

The only one here that's flown a real Cobra is Floyd. The Cobra in my signature photo was part of my Dad's unit during his time in the Gulf War. He flew it on occasion but it was crewed but another pilot regularly. Floyd was kind enough to add it in his Cobra decal sheet some years ago.

Like Floyd, I too flew Cobras in the Army except I flew the "S" model at Ft. Hood, TX back in the mid '80s.  Our unit did not upgrade to the "F" model as we fielded the new AH-64A Apache.  There maybe other Cobra Pilots here but I only know of Floyd.  Yes, I would buy one and build it as a static model.

That is an awesome model!

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA 

I was at Hood 84-88, I was assigned to A Troop 7/17th Cav, 6th Cav Brigade Air Combat.  When our unit was chosen to be the first to field the AH-64A, the unit was reflagged as

3/6th Cav when the Apaches arrived in early 1986. I loved flying the Cobra!

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...