Please recommend a quality 1/48 late F4 Phantom for low vis scheme

Navy or Air Force? If former, then ZM's J and S are excellent, unless you are an accuracy fanatic, in which case you will need Hypersonic's correction for the rear fuselage (https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-fuselage-correction ). It has shape issues that some cannot live with. I have a ZM F-4S. I can see the shape issue, but don't think I would be able to do Hypersonic's correction set without messing something up. In any case the ZM J and S are excellent looking kits.

If you are talking late Air Force, then as asked above, US or foreign? Right now, the only decent F-4E is the Hasegawa ones. This will change in the near future as ZM releases their F-4E, EJ, F and G kits. I think they will be starting with an early E. 

That said, the Hasegawa kits are not that bad. If you go for a Hasegawa F-4J or S you must be careful as some of the kits have early mold raised detail. You need to do your research to determine which kits have raised vs engraved detail. This page comes in handy:

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

Be aware, the ZM (Zoukei-mura) Phantoms will run you at least $75. If you’re not committed to cutting edge detail, the Hasegawa Phantoms are still quite nice and can be found for much less.

As a third choice, Academy kits are very nice, but have a few shape issues (isn't that always the case).  Right now they are the best choice for a state of the art F-4B/N with recessed panel lines.  It really depends on your level of AMS.  Since these kits live on my shelf and nobody sees them but me, I can live with the few inaccuracies.  It still looks like a Phantom to me.  You really couldn't go wrong with any of the 3, Hasegawa, Z-M. or Academy.  Cheers

Geoff M

The frustrating part can often be trying to find a particular Hasegawa kit. Before the ZM F-4S was announced, I decided I really wanted to build an F-4S, so I looked for the Hasegawa F-4S and it took a very long time to find one.  So, The ZM F-4S will be easier to find since it is a current product.

Marine Corps F-4S, and RF-4B  in the late 80s and very early 90s are interesting subjects and an interesting weathering challenge.  Let us know what you decide and we can help you pick the right kit.

Still find the 1/48 Hasegawa the easiest and most cost effective to build. Just finished a Hase and an Academy in low vis. From 4 feet away its impossible to tell a difference.......Except the Academy cost more.

ZyeCQxC.jpg

Hi all,

I would like a low vis F4. I look at the ZM and I was suprised at the high cost ( 75 USD and up). Looks like I am going for a Hasegawa kit. I am leaning toward the EJ version. That is the E version for JSDF? Remember the scale is 1/48. Dai 

Edited by dai phan
16 minutes ago, dai phan said:

Hi all,

I would like a low vis F4. I look at the ZM and I was suprised at the high cost ( 75 USD and up). Looks like I am going for a Hasegawa kit. I am leaning toward the EJ version. That is the E version for JSDF? Remember the scale is 1/48. Dai 

You would want specifically the Hasegawa F-4EJ Kia kit. 

You can probably get one cheaper than that off of eBay or maybe an ARC member has one for sale.

Just as a note, what is widely considered to be a "low-viz" scheme does not really apply to JASDF F-4EJs. 

10 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

You can probably get one cheaper than that off of eBay or maybe an ARC member has one for sale.

Just as a note, what is widely considered to be a "low-viz" scheme does not really apply to JASDF F-4EJs. 

Can this model be built into a USAF F4E with low vis scheme? Dai 

18 minutes ago, dai phan said:

Can this model be built into a USAF F4E with low vis scheme? Dai 

Not really from the box.  By the time the USAF started painting F-4s in the low visibility gray scheme, they had been converted to slatted wing.  All F-4EJs are hard wing.  Also, if you get a -Kai boxing, the wingtip antennas are different.

38 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Not really from the box.  By the time the USAF started painting F-4s in the low visibility gray scheme, they had been converted to slatted wing.  All F-4EJs are hard wing.  Also, if you get a -Kai boxing, the wingtip antennas are different.

Well looks like I am going for a low vis JASDF plane. Dai 

jasdf_f-4_decal_schemes.jpg

Edited by dai phan

I have that sheet and I have seen some beautiful builds from it. None of those aircraft are in low visibility scheme however.

Here's an amazing one similar to those schemes posted here some years back.

The F-4EJ is essentially an hard wing (no slats) E version F-4 manufactured under license from McDonnell Douglas by Mitsubishi. The EJ Kai was a modified EJ with an enhanced cockpit and sensor suite. As noted above, converting an EJ Kai kit to an E or EJ would entail removing these sensors from the wing tips and the tip of the vertical stab, plus making changes to the cockpit.

There were two "low vis" schemes used on Japanese F-4EJs. Early F-4EJs were painted in gloss Light Gull Grey FS 16440 over gloss white FS 17875. Later, they moved to a scheme with Dark Ghost Grey FS 36320 over Light Ghost Grey FS 36375 with the light color wrapping around the leading and trailing edges of all flying surfaces. Similar to the Ghost Grey scheme used on F-15s. Some later F-4EJ Kai's were finished in overall FS36320. The Japanese also tried many experimental schemes along with many special schemes for various anniversaries and milestones.

If you are interested in Japanese F-4s and their various wild color schemes, a good book, if you can find it, is Defenders of Nippon: F-4 Phantom II.  It is out of print and hard to find though.

http://www.arcair.com/Rev1/401-500/Rev457-Japan-F-4book/00.shtm

Any thoughts on getting a 1/32 scale F-4G from Hobby Lobby (if in your area) with the 40% off coupon?  I believe with some work it can be made into an E.  i am sure the members here can correct me on that if I am wrong.

55 minutes ago, ulvdemon said:

Any thoughts on getting a 1/32 scale F-4G from Hobby Lobby (if in your area) with the 40% off coupon?  I believe with some work it can be made into an E.  i am sure the members here can correct me on that if I am wrong.

I believe that the E parts (IPs, fin top, and gun muzzle) are still in the box, so you should be able to easily convert.