F-18 Super Hornet tail slime light question

The 1:48 Hasegawa Super Hornet family has a raised panel around the slime light on the vertical stabilizer.  Is this accurate?  The rest are flush with fuselage.  There are not really any great reference books available for the Super Hornets at the moment. The detail and scale book isn’t worth the paper it is written on (2020 revised edition is much better than D&S #69) and the Reid Publication book isn’t currently listed for sale. I have looked at some online photos and am leaning towards it being flush and dreading sanding it off.  Help from the deck handlers and other expects would be greatly appreciated. 

Ron

Edited by is it windy yet?

The light assembly is flush with the the surface of the vert stab. Sometimes if they have replaced the assembly or had it out for some reason, they may put on excess sealant around the whole unit, which could give it the impression of being raised.

US_Navy_120206-N-GC412-466_Airman_James_

Edited by Spook498
17 minutes ago, Spook498 said:

The light assembly is flush with the the surface of the vert stab. Sometimes if they have replaced the assembly or had it out for some reason, they may put on excess sealant around the whole unit, which could give it the impression of being raised.

US_Navy_120206-N-GC412-466_Airman_James_

What Spook said.👍

On 5/13/2020 at 4:17 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I want to know how they don't get bleed under when they brush paint. I didn't realize they even used a brush!

I seen markings Like that on tomcats before.  

I don't have answers other than to comment on one of the opening statements....Although a longtime D&S fan, I could not possibly AGREE more that the original D&S on the SH isn't worth the paper it was printed on.  I grabbed it as a new release about 12-15 yrs ago when I was building my first, and was WOEFULLY underwhelmed; was very little help in my project.  I think I ended up giving it away.

On 5/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I want to know how they don't get bleed under when they brush paint. I didn't realize they even used a brush!

The trick is actually how to achieve proper scale bleed-under on your model.

😆