So, now what? If Model Master has truly gone away...

So, I'm an 80's baby, got into the hobby when I was probably about 10 or 11, and Model Master paints and glue have been my mainstay ever since. If they are well and truly gone now, what is a good replacement for them that is readily available in the US that has the depth of color choices and applications that MM had? Is there any? I use mostly enamels, but am not adverse to switching to acrylics. like I said, I just need something readily available. I do mostly modern US aircraft, but have a few  WWII subjects lined up as well, most notably the 1/32 Tamiya F4U1-A Corsair.

Thanks in advance for the help

Aaron  

Gunze Mr.Color is sold in few HobbytownUSA stores as well as Tamiya. Online shopping gives access to most exotic stuff one could imagine, the only drawback is waiting time.

I guess when MM and Testors are truly gone, stores will replace them with something else and I wonder myself what it would be.

This certainly seems to be the case. There are plenty of paint lines out there, but MM really had color accuracy going for it.  The best replacements seem to me to be the new lacquers lines, Mr Paint, AK and Hataka. But, of course there are the least available. On the otherside are the commonly stocked ones like Tamiya which don't have precise military colors. For me, it means staying well stocked in advance. 

I almost entirely use Model Master enamels and was looking at going to use True North paints. Unfortunately I live in Canada and no one up here seems to carry them. Also after sending two emails to True North about if it’s even possible to order directly from them and get them shipped to Canada I’ve have never gotten a response back. I also don’t think it’s even possible to get them shipped to Canada because Sprue Brothers can’t shipped Model Master enamels up here so I can’t see True North paints being allowed either. 

Edited by cf18hornet

Hi cf18hornet,

I just checked the website and it IS acting strangely!   However, I suspect that this is just due to the odd times we live in and that people or materials may not be able to make it into the production facility.  Give it a little time and check with them again.  Unless there was a major family problem or something, these paints are way too good to drop off the face of the planet!

Also,  I see no reason why eventually you should not be able to get them in Canada via land delivery.  With the border being closed, it is a problem now.  And as we all know, these days you probably couldn't even send mother' milk via air, even though they're building the aircraft with L'ion batteries, a FAR more dangerous thing, potentially!

Anyway, good luck,

Ed

I too have recently discovered True North paints and due to some comedy of errors painting a Raptor I used up the last of my Model Master paint in those colors.  So I thought let me get some of the new stuff as they had exactly what I needed in enamel.  

Ordered, paint arrived and mixed and sprayed and very happy and will continue to use them.  They seem to be a step right in place Model Master replacement.  

I never really used Model Master enamels, being from the UK they were never really all that widely available here, back when I first started it was Humbrol paints in small glass bottles, I dont suppose anybody remembers using them, I have no fondness for them myself, nor for the Humbrol tins that came afterwards.

While they were good in their day that day is 30 years ago. Even 20 years ago back in the year 2000 there was a change from the Hunbrol colours to something else, for me I went to XtraColour as it airbrushed well and gave a gloss finish straight from the tin, but they have given way to so many others over the past 10-15 years.

Ive tried Model Master, they are still available from several of the Polish and Russian model stores I buy from most often, but I cant say they are any different to the others really. The glass jars they come in look nice though, but thats about all I remember about them as the paint is just another enamel paint with some dubious shade variations.

The only paint Ive used all over the years is Humbrol 86, because I cant find any other paint that matches its shade of green dispite trying pretty much all that are said to match.

International shipping is very de rigueur these days, and there are so many paint manufacturers to choose from the only decision you really have to make is which store you are going to roll with.