3D scanning with a camera?

Yes it's possible. I haven't personally tried this but all the people I've talked to that have say it's a very intensive process to get good results. I think the base model that you're starting with from the "scans" are pretty open and have to have a lot of surface stitching to make the print well. Or at least that's what I've heard. I do want to try it though sometime.

This is all new to me.  I have a studio scale resin casting of a Skyfighter from the TV show V.  I'd like to have it scanned or use the camera method and scale it down since the ship is about 27 inches long.  Maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 size that I can have a good 3D printing to use as a master to make resin copies for myself.

Indeed it is possible. The method has been described in technical papers for a while now. The good part is that it's now far more accessible...you can follow along at home.

Having written that, Some Body apparently already put a model of a Skyfighter on Shapeways...