Seafire 47 OOB, not bad for a 26 year old kit

Airfix 1/48 Seafire 47 OOB, original 1996.  For a kit this old....it builds very very nicely. 

This for sure is a 3 footer.  Painted the stripes.  Kit moved along pretty well until I got to the decals.  Had a set of the aftermarket PMA (PMAD017) and they were complete garbage.  Every decal shattered hitting the water.  So out came the 26 year old decals and man that was a tough road.  Each and every decal needed ~10 minutes to just come off the paper, and any modern day decal setting solution had zero affect on them.  Some silvered, some just simply wouldn't stick.  Toward the end I just wanted to finish, which caused me to paint the nav lights backwards. 

Another COVID build for the work display.

Cheers

Collin

FaNwd5x.jpg

tlR0ANE.jpg

3zEzWia.jpg

AGmkkqx.jpg

D0FW2WO.jpg

1 hour ago, Captain Mark said:

If you hadn't mentioned the nav lights I would never have noticed! The whole build has really come up great, so much so that I actually feel like adding that kit (or one like it) to the stash...! 🤔

I believe Airfix re-popped this kit recently.   So the old molds with new decals would be a winner IMO. 

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

Despite the challenges and frustrations with the build, I really like the subject aircraft

and especially the paint application. We don't see this aircraft being modeled much,

and you did a really good job on it. Fixing the Navigation lights shouldn't be difficult.

I think this kit (along with its F.24 sister) and the 1/48 Lightning from those days are regarded as the best kits of the "old Airfix". This one sure turned out great! :thumbsup:

Edited by ChernayaAkula