Cannot start Display Case topic

Hi guys

Have been attempting to post my latest build in the Display Case section - but constantly encountering a Server 500 Error when clicking on 'Submit'.

As with my others, photos are all hosted elsewhere, so shouldn't be issues regarding sizes - have tried a number of times over the last week, all failed.

Anyone else having similar problems? I see others have successfully started topics over the same timeframe...

This has also happened to me on a couple of occasions.  I have found that it doesn't have to do with pics, but more about the text.  

On my latest Display Case topic (Academy Su-30MK2), when I tried to post it in whole with 10 pics and 3 paragraphs it gave me the Server 500 error.  So I did some testing, and found if I removed ALL the text it would post.  I had saved the entire post, and I tried to add one paragraph at a time via edit, the first one worked, but when I tried to add the second one I got the error.  I tried to then add the third, and also got the error.  It would only allow me to post the one (first) paragraph.  So there was something in the other two that caused the error, what it was I have no idea.

I had the same issue on a Kinetic Su-33 Display case post I made awhile back, but was able to get that one to work by removing just one paragraph.

Thanks, Michael...

My intended post contains a lot of text, both backstory and descriptive about what was done...

....my two previous posts with similar format worked OK - I guess something's been changed...

Update: minutes after posting this, I tried to upload the intended post to the Helicopter section instead...

....and got exactly the same Server 500 error there as well. Guess I'll just stick to posting at Britmodeller...

Edited by andyf117
  • 2 weeks later...

Andy,

Are you typing it all in or doing a cut and paste from somewhere else (word Doc/website/etc)? There maybe an illegal character in the text if pasting from somewhere else.

Try and paste into notepad first, check out the text for any strange characters (remove/replace them) and then copy and paste from notepad into your post.

8 hours ago, SBARC said:

This is weird.  I'll look into this.

Thanks...

6 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Andy,

Are you typing it all in or doing a cut and paste from somewhere else (word Doc/website/etc)? There maybe an illegal character in the text if pasting from somewhere else.

Try and paste into notepad first, check out the text for any strange characters (remove/replace them) and then copy and paste from notepad into your post.

Text was all originally written in Notepad, and uploaded to the Britmodeller forum successfully - no strange characters, just a couple of links which I inserted appropriately (using 'Link' feature at top of entry box). I think the attempts to post here were all copying from Britmodeller - I'll try direct from the Notepad version...

Update: After spending another 10 mins or so copying and pasting the text direct from Notepad, and including both links and hosted photos using the appropriate insertion methods, I got exactly the same 'Server 500' message again:

server500.jpg

Edited by andyf117
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 3:39 AM, SBARC said:

This is weird.  I'll look into this.

Did you find out what caused this? Because I'm having the exact same problem with my in-progress thread. Wanted to post an update, but the forum software won't let me. Copied from Word document or form another site, I'll get the "500 Internal Server Error" message. I can't even get a preview. In some cases, when I try two or three times, the whole forum will crash for me and ARC won't available for a certain time. Can't say how long, but a couple of minutes at least. At the same time, other websites are fine, so I don't think it's the browser.

I was able to post a short sentence, but when I tried to edit that and post the lengthy update, the software will tell me that "This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 5:57 PM, ChernayaAkula said:

Did you find out what caused this? Because I'm having the exact same problem with my in-progress thread. Wanted to post an update, but the forum software won't let me. Copied from Word document or form another site, I'll get the "500 Internal Server Error" message. I can't even get a preview. In some cases, when I try two or three times, the whole forum will crash for me and ARC won't available for a certain time. Can't say how long, but a couple of minutes at least. At the same time, other websites are fine, so I don't think it's the browser.

I was able to post a short sentence, but when I tried to edit that and post the lengthy update, the software will tell me that "This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!! LOL

The first time it happened I was like "uh oh, I think I just broke ARC Forums" LOL.  But after a certain period of time it seemed like all was fine and I sighed in relief.  Pretty funny though that I am not the only one that happened to.

• 4 weeks later...

What I have just tried successfully is an update of my UH-3H 'Display Case' thread...

....though five months old, I was able to edit it, and replace the 'broken' photo links...

....and just figured out a work-around to start the new topic - posted the intro paragraphs first...

....immediately followed by the photos and descriptive text paragraphs as a 'reply' to the intro...

....et voila: CH-3B Sea King - 2857th Test Squadron, 1965 - Fujimi 1/72

Edited by andyf117
7 hours ago, andyf117 said:

What I have just tried successfully is an update of my UH-3H 'Display Case' thread...

....though five months old, I was able to edit it, and replace the 'broken' photo links...

....and just figured out a work-around to start the new topic - posted the intro paragraphs first...

....immediately followed by the photos and descriptive text paragraphs as a 'reply' to the intro...

Thank you, I will give it a go!

J

9 hours ago, andyf117 said:

OK, I've doe it now, but boy is that a major p i t a!!  I fist posted just the text and then created replies with pictures, but at first I tried to edit my post with a link and pictures, but then I got a pop-up window saying "your post can't be edited"... So it really is impossible to post both text and pictures in the same reply! I don't have this issue in other forums...and I don't recall having this issue on here in the past either.

J

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SBARC pinned this topic

Regarding original issue....is it possible to get more specific info?

Was the text typed in or copied from another program?  which program...word etc?

Size and type of images?

How were the text and images posted?  One block of text then images below of text then image, then text...then image etc?

What operating system you using?

There are posting limits regarding image size etc  1000 wide and 750 high that might cause problems and there are image file size limits that can cause problems.

I am not having any luck replicating this problem.  The admin back end settings are limited but it is possible it is one of those settings.

Tried to post a lengthy update post from my in-progress thread as a test in this thread. Same problems. "Server error", tried various post lengths, took out the image links,... and was unable to access ARC for a couple of minutes (about 30 mins, I reckon).

Post copy-pasted from MS Word. Pics hosted on Flickr and links inserted into Word document. Windows 10. Firefox.

Size of images is okay (less than 1280px wide, max 150kb). They work in my in-progress thread.

When I posted the update two weeks ago (LINK!), I cut out the image links and posted it in two parts. The pics were the inserted via the "Other Media ---> Insert Image from URL" option. That seemed to work.

Maybe it's a character limit?

For what it's worth, I was able to post a thread in Display Case on my MiG-21. I did copy the text from a Word document again, but added the pics using the "Other Media ---> Insert Image from URL" option. Worked flawlessly. :thumbsup2:

Second TEST

EDIT: Looks like it's fixed! :banana:

I basically copy-pasted the first post from my in-progress thread (LINK for size reference) and was able to post it warts and all. Including pics linked with IMG tags.

The second test post even included the first two posts of the linked thread and it posted and displayed without problems. Have edited the in-progress stuff out so as to not clutter this thread.

But - to me at least - it looks like the issue is fixed! :thumbsup2: Thanks a bunch, Steve! :clap2:

EDIT 2: Okay, copy-pasting IMG tags apparently doesn't work as simply. Tried it with a new pic and it will only display the link, but not the image right away. Not sure why copying the IMG tags from an existing thread to a new post in another thread will display the pics, but pasting an IMG-tagged link to a new picture will only post the link, but not the image.

Edited by ChernayaAkula