Weathering after painting with airbrush

Hi im used to weathering kits but ive been previously using spray cans n now made the switch to airbrushing but had some issues.

Im using tamiya weathering powder and noticed that it was harder to remove the weathering mix. It also seems to have left a shadow where ive painted either side of the panel lines. 

Anyone had similiar issues? I waited probably a day or 2 after painting to weather. 

On 5/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, F14SRCOOL said:

Hi im used to weathering kits but ive been previously using spray cans n now made the switch to airbrushing but had some issues.

Im using tamiya weathering powder and noticed that it was harder to remove the weathering mix. It also seems to have left a shadow where ive painted either side of the panel lines. 

Anyone had similiar issues? I waited probably a day or 2 after painting to weather. 

Unless the surface is mirror gloss, you are NOT going to remove all unwanted wash. Some washes are tend to stick to the surface despite the best effort to remove them. Solution is to get very fine sand paper to sand off the layer. It should come off easily. Next use Flory Models washes because they give you the best % of removal for excess wash. Again, if the surface is not mirror gloss, apply only to the areas desired and remove excess with sanding sticks. I do this on my WIP A7. Dai 

1 hour ago, dai phan said:

Unless the surface is mirror gloss, you are NOT going to remove all unwanted wash. Some washes are tend to stick to the surface despite the best effort to remove them. Solution is to get very fine sand paper to sand off the layer. It should come off easily. Next use Flory Models washes because they give you the best % of removal for excess wash. Again, if the surface is not mirror gloss, apply only to the areas desired and remove excess with sanding sticks. I do this on my WIP A7. Dai 

This goes double when using weathering powders. They will stick to any surface that is not glossy smooth. Actually, with powders, that is the desired result most of the time. They are used to simulate dirt, dust and grime, sometimes rust. If you want to accentuate panel lines, you should be using washes, not powders. I too use Flory Models washes. They are the most fool proof washes made, essentially just very fine clay pigments in water with an surfactant added to reduce surface tension.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

This goes double when using weathering powders. They will stick to any surface that is not glossy smooth. Actually, with powders, that is the desired result most of the time. They are used to simulate dirt, dust and grime, sometimes rust. If you want to accentuate panel lines, you should be using washes, not powders. I too use Flory Models washes. They are the most fool proof washes made, essentially just very fine clay pigments in water with an surfactant added to reduce surface tension.

Yes but if the surface is not smooth I have to sand the excess out with fine paper. Dai 

9 hours ago, dai phan said:

Yes but if the surface is not smooth I have to sand the excess out with fine paper. Dai 

Hi dai phan, the OP stated he was using weathering powders. I was addressing that. You are right though, sometimes it takes sanding with fine sand papers to remove a wash or powder that has been inbedded in a surface that is not sufficiently smooth. I was making the point that the OP would have better luck using washes like Flory's for accentuating panel lines.