In the need of some information about the TBF-1C Avenger

Hello everyone,

I will launch myself in modelling again, and I will maybe start by building the 1/48 Hobby Boss TBF-1C avenger, and I have some questions about this plane.

I would like to know if this plane on real conditions, was likely to have one wing deployed and one folded, and if on the folded wings the rockets could be attached or not.

Also I would like to know the classical loadouts of this plane, to some extent, is it possible to put the 4 bombs and the rockets, or in the reality only one out of the two options could be used, knowing that I have:

-2 External fuel tanks

-1 Internal fuel tank

-4 250 LB bombs

-2 500 LB Bombs

-One torpedo

-Rockets

In addition do you guys know where I can find pictures of what's behind the engine cradle and inside the little door of the fuselage ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards

Welcome aboard! :wave:

The best way to find out about real conditions for the TBF are contemporaneous photographs, manuals, or books. The Aero Series book, Grumman TBF/TBM "Avenger", by B.R. Jackson is a good reference as well as the Squardon/Signal book, TBF/TBM Avenger, by David Doyle.

More general info is available from Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_TBF_Avenger; they also have has a "media" site, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Grumman_TBF_Avenger, with many photographs. Also, searching for "tbf avenger", ""tbf avenger walkaround", "tbf avenger cutaway" or "tbf avenger loadout" can be useful. ARC has a walk-around section, http://www.arcair.com/awa-archives/walk.shtm, where you'll find 2 such photo sets for the TBF (under "Avenger"). Google also found this site, which appears to have more info on TBF loadouts, http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/T/b/TBF_Avenger.htm.

The TBF had a 3-man crew: pilot, rear-turret gunner, and radio-operator/ventral-gunner/bombardier. The last small door below and behind the starboard wing was for that 3rd crewman.

HTH

-- 

dnl

2 hours ago, MigMadMarine said:

Hello everyone,

I will launch myself in modelling again, and I will maybe start by building the 1/48 Hobby Boss TBF-1C avenger, and I have some questions about this plane.

I would like to know if this plane on real conditions, was likely to have one wing deployed and one folded, and if on the folded wings the rockets could be attached or not.

Also I would like to know the classical loadouts of this plane, to some extent, is it possible to put the 4 bombs and the rockets, or in the reality only one out of the two options could be used, knowing that I have:

-2 External fuel tanks

-1 Internal fuel tank

-4 250 LB bombs

-2 500 LB Bombs

-One torpedo

-Rockets

In addition do you guys know where I can find pictures of what's behind the engine cradle and inside the little door of the fuselage ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards

99% of the time, both wings were folded together, since they shared a common hydraulic system.  It's your model, build it the way you wish though.   As far as weapons, I don't think I've ever seen an Avenger with external tanks.   You could also add depth charges to the list of internally carried weapons. 

Welcome back and good luck on your TBF!

5 minutes ago, 11bee said:

99% of the time, both wings were folded together, since they shared a common hydraulic system.  It's your model, build it the way you wish though.   As far as weapons, I don't think I've ever seen an Avenger with external tanks.   You could also add depth charges to the list of internally carried weapons. 

Welcome back and good luck on your TBF!

Hi 11bee, thanks for the answer.

That's true that I would like to build it with as many charges as I can.

For the wings, I'll try to keep the "realism" by going with both wings folded I think.

For the depth charges sadly there's not any provided in the kit.