Questions about Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk. 1

Hi All,

I started working on my Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk. 1 Tropical (AO5129) airplane, and I have a few questions.

First off, the 4 gun ports in the leading edge of both wings are indented, but not open, just solid plastic.  I am not planning to open the wings to show the machine guns, but regardless, it seems to me that those gun parts need to be open (i.e. holes drilled).  I don't understand why Airfix molded them as solid, unless I'm missing something.

Secondly, the trailing edge of the wings on this model seem extraordinarily thick.  It could be that there is a reason for this, but I don't know.  Were the flaps metal or fabric covered, and would that make a difference in the thickness of the trailing edge?  I haven't yet gotten to the flaps, and maybe the flaps themselves have a thin training edge, but the wing edge is really thick.  I'm guessing that a significant amount of sanding will be needed if the wing comes to a fine/thin training edge as most wings seem to.  Thoughts on this?

Other than these two things, the airplane seems to be going together well, but certainly doesn't have the super ease of fit like a Tamiya kit.  This is my very first AIrfix kit, so I'm learning my way around.  Thanks for any help.

Edited by Curt B

Interesting, and thank you!  So, was that tape typically applied prior to each sortie, after the guns were reloaded, to protect the barrels from foreign objects?  Obviously, once the guns were fired, the tape would be blown off.  If I am modeling an aircraft just returning from a mission, the tape wouldn't be there, correct?  Presuming that the guns had been used during the flight.  In that case, I gather I would need to drill out the holes.  If I am modeling a plane just getting ready for its next flight, then I guess I should have the tape in place, right?

The tape would stay there until the aircraft used its guns. If you want to model an aircraft that just came back and had used its guns there would be some holes in the tape indeed.

As far as I know it would normally be reapplied after the sortie when time permitted.

I read that the tape was used to keep condensation from collecting in the blast tubes and turning to ice at altitude which would cause problems when the guns were fired.  I would imagine it was retaped when the guns were loaded.

Geoff 

I think I would rather show tape over the gun tubes rather than attempt to drill them out and make a mistake.  I think simulated tape is the way to go!  Thanks guys!

Now...anyone have any opinions on the thickness (or thinness) of the wings trailing edges?  They can't have been as thick as this airplane is showing them to be ...