Hello All,

Since Model Master is going away and thus the pains of using buffing aluminum paint I have finally branched out and am trying both Alclad and Vallejo Metal.  I did one bird in Vallejo, I learned a lot about surface prep there that I carried over to my Alclad bird.  I am not ready to totally say yes to one over the other yet.  But I have an issue  I was curious about here.

Painting my Eduard P51D.  I wanted it to be shiny, so I bought some Alclad Polished Aluminum.  I primed the plane in the Alclad Gloss Black, then painted it with the Polished Aluminum.  Then I buffed it with Micro Mesh.  Wow, its like a mirror now.  It is blinding me as it sits next to me as I type this.  

What is my next course of action here?  Can I pick up some more Alclad, like airframe alumnium or duraluminum and reshoot it?  Or will it still be just as shiny?  As I have gathered that Alclad will really show its undercoat through, and since this one is so shiny already...will a different sheen tone it down a bit?

Someone on another site in a very old thread said they would do this and then spray model master metalizer over it, but that seems kind of backward.

The way I see this, if you spray any other shade of Alclad over what you now have, it will be that new shade. I don't think any of the underlying Polished Aluminum will show through.

Is there a small panel on the underside that you could mask off and use a test bed? Maybe over spray a VERY light coat?

Bob

Thanks Bob that is what I was thinking.  I only have polished aluminum, but I remember before I buffed it, it was a bit duller.  So I think to use this stuff up that I have I am going to shoot it tonight and see what happens.  If it mutes a bit I hope I will not buff it.  But am prepared to order some different colors.  

What you said about the underlying polished aluminum not showing through was what I was wanting to know 🙂

Actually, you have two good options:  1) Overcoat the aircraft with ANY of the Alclad II clear topcoats, preferably Light Sheen (ALC-311) , or Semi-Matt (ALC-312).

Polished Aluminum on the F-84E on the right, ditto over-coated with Light Sheen on the F-84B on the left:

2v2JnJregxfzdhW.jpg

or 2) shoot a thin layer of around 95% Alclad II thinner, mixed with around 5% plain Alclad II Aluminum (you can play with the ratio -- you won't hurt it -- start light first), and shoot it over the top.  YF-105A shown below has several Alclad II colors over-coated this way to sort of kill the shine, and reduce the darker extreme colors at the same time. The lightest color is the Polished Aluminum (originally):

2v2EPNat3xfzdhW.jpg

Duck Soup!

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
typo
On 5/22/2020 at 11:04 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

Actually, you have two good options:  1) Overcoat the aircraft with ANY of the Alclad II clear topcoats, preferably Light Sheen (ALC-311) , or Semi-Matt (ALC-312).

Polished Aluminum on the F-84E on the right, ditto over-coated with Light Sheen on the F-84B on the left:

2v2JnJregxfzdhW.jpg

or 2) shoot a thin layer of around 95% Alclad II thinner, mixed with around 5% plain Alclad II Aluminum (you can play with the ratio -- you won't hurt it -- start light first), and shoot it over the top.  YF-105A shown below has several Alclad II colors over-coated this way to sort of kill the shine, and reduce the darker extreme colors at the same time. The lightest color is the Polished Aluminum (originally):

2v2EPNat3xfzdhW.jpg

Duck Soup!

Ed

Ed,

I went ahead and reshot it and it toned it down a lot.  I wont be buffing it in the future 🙂