paint recommendation for FS36375 ?

Hi everyone, I am running low on my vallejo light ghost grey paint/primer. I would like to take this opportunity to explore some other options.  I have one bottle of mission model paint FS36375, but it is a bit too dark compared to vallejo paint and it doesn't have that small blue hue as in vallejo paint.

I have read some excellent posts in the past comparing different paints for AMS standard colors, just wondering if anybody has done similar comparison for FS36375 light ghost grey. Would you mind share your choice of paint for FS36375 ?

Thanks

For 36375 I roll with Vallejo too. Its a good rendition of the colour from what I can tell thought I usually use 71.050 not the primer version which i think is 73.615... I have 73.601 as a grey primer.

The Italeri version of it 4762 is a nice colour... Its a little more blue which Im not sure about but then I dont tend to use Italeri acrylics on anything other than cars and trucks.

In the past I’ve used Xtracolor but their color consistency is WILD all of a sudden. Model Master looks good as does Mr Color and Xtracrylics. Personally I’m not an acrylic fan. My bug bear with all of these paints except Xtracolor is they’re flat and flat means spraying on gloss, then flat again. I have a thing about layer after layer of paint. To date I haven't found anything that sprays more effortlessly and finely as Xtracolor. I’ve been shopping for another alternative since  Xtracolor quality is dodgy and it’s hard to get. I bought $200 worth of Mr Color the other day so I’ll give it a whirl. So far I’ve shot a 1/72 A-4 and an AC-119. The colors look true enough and they sprayed well but not as well as Xtracolor in my hands

5 hours ago, BillS said:

In the past I’ve used Xtracolor but their color consistency is WILD all of a sudden. Model Master looks good as does Mr Color and Xtracrylics. Personally I’m not an acrylic fan. My bug bear with all of these paints except Xtracolor is they’re flat and flat means spraying on gloss, then flat again. I have a thing about layer after layer of paint. To date I haven't found anything that sprays more effortlessly and finely as Xtracolor. I’ve been shopping for another alternative since  Xtracolor quality is dodgy and it’s hard to get. I bought $200 worth of Mr Color the other day so I’ll give it a whirl. So far I’ve shot a 1/72 A-4 and an AC-119. The colors look true enough and they sprayed well but not as well as Xtracolor in my hands

There's a trick to getting around the gloss coat. Sand your final paint lightly with a sanding cloth. Then simply put a puddle of Future where the decal goes. Put on the decal, dab off the excess Future with a wet paper towel, and you're done. Then you flat coat and everything becomes uniform.

I was testing this just this week, looking for a future Model Master replacement. AK is not as accurate as MM, it's pale - a bit light and less tinted.  MRP *may* be closer but still seems a little off. I may ultimately end up mixing to enhance one of these .

I compared a lot of modellers paints with the original fs36375 color card. In terms of accuracy the best  choice is Model Master Acrylic 4762. But I can't call the paint user-friendly.

If you have an android phone I suggest the Google play store app...

Hobby Color Converter

Great tool for finding an equivalent across multiple brands; and relative close colors if you are looking for a replacement not in your immediate inventory but need to use an alternate. Inventory information as well; which I love. When I go to the store, I now know what paint I need to top up in my personal inventory. 

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
On 5/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, Vaildog said:

MRP seems a little too dark. Model Master really gets it right to my eye.

I just held up an F/A-18 I built and painted with MRP 36375 against the chip in my FS595B book: They two colors are virtually identical, but the MRP might be just an iota lighter. You really have to strain to see any difference. In any case, going by the chip, MRP is definitely not too dark.

18 hours ago, seawinder said:

I just held up an F/A-18 I built and painted with MRP 36375 against the chip in my FS595B book: They two colors are virtually identical, but the MRP might be just an iota lighter. You really have to strain to see any difference. In any case, going by the chip, MRP is definitely not too dark.

They must've changed their formula. My bottle is definitely too dark, but it's a couple of years old.