Zvezda 1/72 C-130H announced

7 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Im presuming this is the first time its been seen by anyone?

The CAD, yes.  The fact they were working on a 1/72 Hercules, no that’s been known for awhile.

Different topic.  I’ve read that US distributors can’t get Zvezda products due to a trademark issue 

Anybody else know the scoop?

Yeah I remember when it first appeared in their listings months back too.

There was some confusion as to what it would be I recall as the photo put out was a C-130J, so everybody took it to be a J model while Zvezda said they were going to release an H model.

Well I am happy and can ditch my Italeri ones with the short nacelles. Only have one 1/48th one and that is good enough for me. Had about 6 of the Italeri 1/72nd versions but now down to 2. 
I have a few of the recent Zvezda airliner kits and they are very nice so I expect that this kit will be too.

What is the story with the engines on the Italeri kit?
Ive got several of them myself with a fair few sets and updates for each of them to turn them into one of the many none plain old C-130 variants and almost all of them require the short engines to be swapped out with the long engines.

And I seem to remember being told that even if you were to build it OOB you still need to update the engines to the long ones.

nb Im not talking in any way about the C-130J which I know has engines of its own, I am only thinking about the earlier versions before the J model.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:58 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

What is the story with the engines on the Italeri kit?
Ive got several of them myself with a fair few sets and updates for each of them to turn them into one of the many none plain old C-130 variants and almost all of them require the short engines to be swapped out with the long engines.

And I seem to remember being told that even if you were to build it OOB you still need to update the engines to the long ones.

nb Im not talking in any way about the C-130J which I know has engines of its own, I am only thinking about the earlier versions before the J model.

If I recall correctly, they are too short for any engine variant. By something like 8 mm. 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Jet...it is powered by four axial flow JET engines and a jet engine APU. 

and the TF56 went to the test stand in very late 1952 or early 1953. Still in constant production, and featuring a gazillion upgrades along the way. Always thought it interesting in the way Allisons rated the TF56 for power. It was rated in shaft horse power instead or pounds thrust. Engine has been built to 5200 horse power, but think 3300 is the most we've ever seen in person. 

gary

23 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

If I recall correctly, they are too short for any engine variant. By something like 8 mm. 

Oh right, you know what in all these years I never knew that!

I thought there were 2 versions of the engines short which is what is on the kit and the long engines which is what Flightpath do.

Every version I want to and have built needs the long engines so it cost more!

So its just a mistake on Italeris part then?

On 5/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, ESzczesniak said:

The T-56s fitted to early C-130As had a shorted nacelle which is provided in the Italeri kit. The nacelle was lengthen from the C-130B onwards

C-130A: note position of prop warning strip just touching the sponson

oeuViQ6dMsCaesC68lgVAgxzJIu_QE_NfysHGDUp

C-130E: Prop warning strip further forward

6669517619_87203c68c5_z-1280x720.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

The long/short part of the engine nacelle we’re talking about here is the part forward of the wing LE.  But the early “short” nacelles also had a rear section under the wing that extended all the way to the flap hinge.  On the later “long” engines, it stopped short of that.  The Italeri C-130 wings are molded with the shortened rear fairings that aren’t correct for the AC-130A “short” engines.

Oh no. Now you've ruined the Italeri kits for me forever.🙄

Not really. Since there are no PERFECT kits, I'll just have to settle with the ones I either have, can afford, or can settle with. Which means pretty much everything. I'll embrace the new Zvezda kit when it comes, as it will likely be be very good yet imperfect like all the others.

Humm yes I see what you mean about the engines now.

It will be nice to see what we can do with the Zvezda kit, Im hoping a lot of the conversions will carry over to their kit.

I cant believe this is the only company who has made a C-130 kit since AMT did it in the early 90s.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

I believe that the Italeri started as an AC-130A. To add to what others have said, the kit has basically a C-130E wing but with the engine nacelles for the A model. The engines for the C-130s until the J models were all the same, but on the A models (and Ds) the engines were set further into the wing. Hence they seemed shorter. So on the wing, the ventral fairings and exhaust are further back in the A. 

On 5/29/2020 at 5:53 PM, gmat said:

I believe that the Italeri started as an AC-130A. To add to what others have said, the kit has basically a C-130E wing but with the engine nacelles for the A model. The engines for the C-130s until the J models were all the same, but on the A models (and Ds) the engines were set further into the wing. Hence they seemed shorter. So on the wing, the ventral fairings and exhaust are further back in the A. 

Does the Italeri C-130J have the incorrect engines also?